18 | Alone

I've never been this close to anyone or anything

I can hear your thoughts

I can see your dreams.

-Lonestar, "Amazed"

Fort Leonard Wood - Missouri

Rachel

"We can't leave base," Miles was saying, "but we can definitely find a place to sneak away."

I was hardly listening to the words coming out of his mouth; I was just so incredibly happy to be in his presence. So instead of listening, I was just staring at his lips move.

"Rachel? Are you in there?" he asked playfully.

I dragged my eyes away from his lips and grinned. "Yeah... sorry, babe. I'm just so beyond ecstatic to be here with you that I can barely focus."

He smiled and pulled me to him, running his hand through my hair. "Me too, baby," he murmured, pressing his lips to mine.

He had pulled me flush against him, and I suddenly wished we weren't out here in the middle of the field with soldiers, drill sergeants, and significant others milling around. It had been way too long since we'd been alone, and I was longing for him.

"Where can we go to be alone?" I whispered in his ear.

"I know just the place," he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me across the field toward a large brick building.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I trotted to keep up with him.

"You'll see... just come on," he responded.

***

A few minutes later, we were in an abandoned office in the large brick building. There was a couch, desk, and a few other office things like a file cabinet and desk chair. Miles locked the door behind us.

"What is this place?" I asked, looking around.

He sat on the couch and patted the cushion next to him, and I sat down, our thighs side-by-side. "When I first learned you and I would get to spend a day together on base, I started trying to think of places we could go to be alone... and then I remembered that this building is being renovated, so it's closed at the moment. But... they don't work on the weekends AND I found a way in," he said proudly, and I grinned.

"You are sneaky," I teased, climbing on his lap and putting one leg on either side of his waist.

He ran his hands through my hair and pulled it over my shoulder, letting it rest on my chest. "You are beautiful."

I rested my forehead on his. "God, Miles, I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you more than I ever thought possible," he murmured, running his hands down my cheek, onto my neck, and when his fingers drifted down to the cardigan I wore, my heart sped up. He pushed the sleeves off my shoulders and I shrugged out of the sweater and tossed it to the floor, leaving me in the tight, strapless maroon dress I'd chosen this morning.

Miles' eyes traveled over my body, and he exhaled, his breath warm against my skin.

"Stand up," he breathed.

"Babe," he whispered. "You're even more beautiful now than you were when I left."

I flushed; even after all this time, his words bring a storm of butterflies to my stomach.

He leaned down and kissed my lips, down to my neck, and onto my collarbone. I smiled up at him as he moved over me, pushing my hair out of my face. "Hello," I whispered.

He lowered himself to me, capturing my lips with his. "Hey," he said against my lips, his mouth curving up into what I knew was a grin.

"Miles... I know you're trying to savor the moment and all, but..." 

He chuckled and kissed me again, taking my bottom lip between his teeth.

And in just a few seconds, I was lost in ecstasy once again.

Miles

"My God, Rachel," I whispered as I held her against my chest. "Do you know how much I've missed that?"

She giggled. "Yeah... I've missed it too, ya know," she teased.

I laughed and kissed her forehead. "I know."

She sighed and lifted my arm to look at my watch. "We've been in this room for hours. I have to leave in a little bit," she said, her voice cracking.

"I know," I whispered, running my hand through her hair. "But look, I only have 5 weeks left here for specialized training, then I'll get to come home for a while," I assured her.

She nodded against my chest. "I can't wait."

"Me either, sweetheart." I sat up slightly and she scooted up with me, pulling my button-down shirt around her shoulders and buttoning a couple buttons in the middle, her hair wild around her face.

I smiled at her and laced my fingers with hers. "You're stunning," I murmured.

She flushed. "I love you, Miles."

"I love you too, Rachel." I looked at my watch again and sighed. "We better get dressed. It's almost time for you to catch your flight," I said, feeling my heart sink even as I said it.

She inhaled sharply and nodded reluctantly, moving off me and standing up to pull her dress back on. She turned around so that I could zip it up, and when she faced me again to hand me my shirt, her eyes were shining with unshed tears.

"Oh, baby," I said, putting my hand on her cheek. She leaned against my palm, closing her eyes.

"I'll be counting down the days until you're back with me in Tallahassee," she whispered.

I nodded and pressed my lips to hers. "Me too," I whispered against her lips.

She picked up her bag, and I walked her to where she'd catch the shuttle to the airport, hating every step we took.

The shuttle drove up as soon as we reached the sidewalk, and Rachel turned to me, her lip quivering.

"I miss you already, Miles," she whispered.

I smiled tightly, trying to quell the tears that had found their way into my eyes. "Me too, babe. Be safe, keep busy with your classes, and I'll be home before you know it."

She nodded and stood on her tiptoes to give me one more kiss.

I lifted her off her feet and pressed my lips to hers, feeling the hot tears sliding from my cheeks onto hers. She whimpered against my mouth, and when I sat her down, we were both crying.

"Bye, Miles. I love you," she whispered.

"I love you... Bye, Rachel," I responded, and with one more squeeze of my hand, she boarded the shuttle and then... she was gone.

I sighed, looking up at the sky and wiping my cheeks.

5 more weeks.