7 | Arrival

So you can keep me

Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans

Holdin' me closer til our eyes meet

You won't ever be alone; wait for me to come home.

-Ed Sheeran, "Photograph"

Fort Leonard Wood, Waynesville, Missouri

Miles

I stepped off the bus – where I had felt eerily like Forrest Gump – to see a giant piece of marble shaped like the state of Missouri that read FORT LEONARD WOOD in huge letters.

I shifted my duffel bag on my shoulder and ran my hand through my hair for what would be the last time in weeks. One of the first things they'd do this afternoon would be to shave my head, and to say the least, I was not looking forward to it. I looked around, and realized that since I had no idea where to go, I'd just follow the crowd.

"Excuse me," I said to the guy in front of me. "Do you know what we're doing now?"

He turned around and smiled. "I think we're getting our heads buzzed first," he drawled in a Southern accent. He stuck his hand out. "I'm Dale Bennett."

"Miles Salazar. Nice to meet you," I said, shaking his hand. "Where are you from?"

"Atlanta, and you?"

"Panama City," I said, and he laughed.

"Party boy?" he joked.

"Not hardly." I had a quick flashback to that one night we went to Club La Vela and chuckled.

As we walked toward the barracks, Dale's phone dinged. "Shit," he murmured. "I meant to turn that off." But a huge grin had spread across his face.

"Someone special?" I asked.

"Yeah, you could say that," he said, glancing around.

"I don't think we have to put our phones away yet, so you don't have to worry about getting in trouble," I pointed out.

"I – uh – no, that's not it," he said, his face turning slightly pink.

"Oh. Well, what then?" I asked, realizing I had just met this dude and was probably being a little pushy.

"I – " he started, but he was interrupted by a loud, shrill whistle.

"GENTLEMEN!" a strict, harsh voice rang out. "GET TO THE BARRACKS, DROP YOUR SHIT, AND GET TO THE GYMNASIUM FOR HAIRCUTS AND DISTRUBUTION OF GEAR!"

I whirled around to see the owner of the voice standing behind us. He was my height, but seemed taller because he was so intense... imposing... fucking terrifying.

He glared at us and marched off toward the building I assumed was the gymnasium.

"Holy shit," Dale muttered. "Please don't tell me that's – "

"... our drill sergeant. Yeah... pretty sure it is," I murmured. "Of course, we'd get the most terrifying dude on the planet."

"We better go," he answered, and we shoved open the door to the barracks, finding our assigned bunk and dropping our bags onto them.

"Let's go lose our hair," I said, rolling my eyes.

***

Two hours later, I had a brand-new buzz cut and new Army fatigues with my name on them. Even though I wasn't too sure about the haircut yet, I was quite proud of the fatigues.

I took out my phone – while I still could – and snapped a selfie for Rachel. I stopped before entering the barracks and typed out a message to go with the photo.

Baby... I just got here, and this is the first chance I've gotten to send you a message. I don't really think I'm supposed to have my phone out, so I am typing this really quickly before Lieutenant Dan catches me (sorry, I'm feeling an awful lot like Forrest Gump today – I even met a new friend as I got off the bus). I hope my new haircut isn't a turn off; maybe the uniform will make up for it. I love you so much, Rachel. I'll message or call you as soon as I can. xoxo

!!!!!! Babe, you look so hot! Haircut is fiiiiine! Good luck with your drill sergeant, babe. You're going to rock this. I love you so much. xoxo

She included a selfie of her own, and she looked as beautiful as always. Just seeing her face and words that she'd typed made my heart soar, and I knew then that everything was going to be okay.

 Just seeing her face and words that she'd typed made my heart soar, and I knew then that everything was going to be okay