13 | Appearance

I'm learning who you've been

Ain't who you've gotta be.

-Tim McGraw, "Better Than I Used to Be"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Brooke

"B, are you almost ready?" Luke called from the bedroom.

"Yes!" I called, leaning into the bathroom mirror and applying my lipstick.

"Okay. Mom and Dad are about to leave their house, so I just wanted to make sure."

"Yeah, I told Katherine we'd be there in like 20 minutes." I pulled the sundress over my head and smoothed it, turning sideways to check out my tiny pooch in the mirror.

Luke chuckled and came up behind me, putting his hands on my stomach. "You're so beautiful, B. I love you."

I smiled and turned to kiss his cheek. "I love you too." I took a deep breath. "Are you ready to tell our families?"

"Absolutely. I'm gonna let you do the talking, okay?" he said, taking my hand as we left the penthouse.

"Okay," I agreed, and before I knew it, we had made it to Maurice's for brunch.

***

"Hi darlings!" Jane cried, pulling us both into her arms for a giant hug. "How are you?"

"We're good, Mom," Luke said, smiling.

"Good, good." She kissed us both on the cheek as we greeted Adam and Katherine.

When we all got settled in, the waitress came by to take our order. Everyone ordered drinks; Katherine and Jane getting our brunch usual - mimosas. When I ordered a plain orange juice, everyone except Luke looked at me like I had three heads.

"Why didn't you get a mimosa, Brooke?" Katherine asked, as if she were truly concerned about my sanity.

I glanced at Luke, and he nodded once.

"Well, we have something we want to tell you guys," I started, and Jane's eyes lit up as if she knew what I was going to say. I pulled the ultrasound photo out of my purse and held it up to them. "We're going to have a baby... and I'm going to do everything right this time," I said, tears immediately filling my eyes.

"Oh my God! Are you serious!?" Jane cried, jumping up and running to us, wrapping us in her arms again.

"Yes, we're serious," Luke said, laughing. "Just don't tell Miles. I'm going to tell him when he calls next, and Brooke is going to FaceTime Rachel later."

I glanced at Katherine and she was sitting in shock, tears falling down her cheeks.

I slipped out from Jane's embrace and wrapped my arms around Katherine. "You okay, sis?"

She nodded and put her hands on my cheeks. "Oh Brooke... I am so happy for you guys."

I grinned and put my head on her shoulder as we cried together - tears of joy.

Tallahassee, Florida

Rachel

I woke up with the worst headache I had ever had, and when I rolled over and looked at the clock - 10:30 am - the events of the night before came rushing back to me.

Oh shit.

I picked up my phone from the bedside table to see I had three texts: one from Alex, one from Brooke, and one from Dad... none from Brittany.

I got up and groaned as I opened the message from Alex.

Rachel, please call me. I'm really sorry about last night. I was out of line.

I laughed out loud. If he thought I was going to call him, he was crazy.

Instead, I typed out a message to Brittany.

Brittany... it's Rachel. Please... I need to talk to you. Last night was... ugh. Just text me back please.

I waited for a few minutes, but I got nothing.

Ugh... I have to make this right before classes start.

All day I moped around the apartment, cleaned the kitchen, watched a movie with Jessica, and did two loads of laundry.

Finally, at 3:30, my phone dinged. I leaned forward, snatching my phone off the coffee table. Jessica jumped at my quick movement.

"Damn, Rach, you scared the shit out of me," she said, laughing.

"Sorry," I murmured, opening the message. I looked up at Jessica. "It's Brittany." I'd told her everything that had happened the night before.

Her blue eyes widened. "Read it out loud."

I swallowed and read aloud. "'Rachel, I'm sorry I left you guys at the bar last night, but my feelings were so hurt... you know how much I liked Alex. And you have Miles... why did you do it?'"

Jessica shook her head. "Does she really think you were into that?"

I shrugged. "It seems that way."

"Well, what are you going to say?" she asked.

"I'm telling her to come over," I answered, and Jessica raised an eyebrow.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Well, I want to work this out and I don't think it's right to do it over the phone," I said, and Jessica nodded.

So I typed out the message and waited for Brittany's reply.

I was shocked when she said she'd be over in ten.

***

knock knock

I jumped up and opened the door, and my face fell when I saw Brittany's red-rimmed eyes staring at me from the other side.

"Brittany," I said softly. "Come in."

She stepped over the threshold silently and sat on the couch rigidly, not meeting my eyes.

I sat next to her and poked her leg playfully until she looked at me, annoyance in her eyes.

"Brittany, you know I don't like Alex that way, right? I mean, I'm engaged to the man of my dreams. I'd never cheat on Miles," I insisted.

She shook her head. "I know... I know you wouldn't. After I got home and thought about it, it was so obvious that you didn't ask for that. But... that didn't change the fact that he put the moves on youand not me," she explained.

I sat back against the couch and sighed. "I know. And I'm so sorry about that. I want us to be okay, Britt. We have a long two years ahead of us, and I don't want to fight with you... you're my friend, and I want to keep it that way."

She turned toward me and offered the smallest of smiles. "Me too."

I grinned and hugged her.

Just then, a knock sounded at the door.

Jessica came into the room from the kitchen. "I'll get it," she said, swinging the door open.

It was Alex.