Memories and a Dream

Chapter 6

“Armpit, I was probably your stench that scared her away!” laughed X-Ray

“Nah man, she was probably mad at you for stealin’ her bread! Well trying anyways.” More laughter. I looked at Squid, he was lying on his back again and staring at the ceiling and chewing his toothpick.

“What really was the reason for leaving?” asked Magnet as he bounced over and sat at the foot of my bed. I pulled out the headphones and sat up, sitting cross-legged.

“Well, I wanted to have real food and I was, err, worried bout losing my iPod so I came back and found it.” The boys believed my lie and went to their beds and lounged around. I gave a brief sigh and glanced at Squid. He winked at me.

“Hey, Squid?” asked Caveman smiling mischievously from his bed.

“Yeah what?” he replied.

“Why did you follow her?” There was an awkward silence. X-Ray oohed and nudged Squid. He grunted and ignored him. Zigzag looked at me weirdly. I shrugged my shoulders and put in the headphones again. I pretended I was listening to something, drumming my fingers on my knees to an imaginary beat. Truthfully, I wanted to hear what Squid said.

“Well I wanted to ask her how she did all that stuff to get in here, I was pretty impressed!” I almost laughed at that.

"I wasn’t that impressed, I mean I'm shocked a girl could do all of that, or any of that for that matter. I swear people here have done worse? But I’m quite surprised you could get a lighter in here, without being caught by Mr. Sir." said Caveman, causing my temper to rise. I stood up and grabbed the front of shirt. He looked like he was about to shit himself. I held my lighter out in front of me like a dagger. Squid, Zigzag and Magnet stood up. X-Ray and Armpit just watched and smirked. Zero did nothing.

"Why don't you say that one more time, Stan-ley?” giving him a jerk with each syllable, “Then maybe I can make sure that you won't get shocked when you here a girl has done what I have." I flicked my lighter on. The flame was right above his heart. A black burn slowly formed. It sizzled and smoked until it burnt straight through to where his t-shirt was. Stanley started whimpering. I felt a hand on my shoulder and a soft tug. I pushed Stanley back and he fell onto his cot. I flicked off my lighter. He stuck a finger through the hole I made and cried out when the black burnt his finger. It was Zigzag’s hand on my shoulder, and I went and sat on his bed then handed him my iPod.

“Thanks!” He said nervously. He looked excited as he put the headphones in and started tapping the screen carefully.  

"Yo, I thought you were gonna kill him for a sec, by like, burning a hole through his heart!" said X-Ray, slapping me a high-five. As I walked past Stanley going towards my bed, he looked at me like I was going to kill him. I wouldn't actually kill anyone. Maybe just knock them out, or if it was necessary put them in a coma. But, I wouldn't raise a hand to anybody without a reason… OK, maybe I would, but it's not a crime, right. Ok, it is. You know what? I'm just going to shut up now.

"So, who made all those holes out there?" I asked the guys trying to make conversation, still holding my lighter. I flipped onto my cot and started to play with it. Flick on. Flick off. The beautiful golden flame appearing, and disappearing as it reflected of the silver case. It was my most prized possession.

"We did. We dig holes to build character." I looked at Armpit to see if he was being sarcastic.

"Holy shit, seriously? God, I really should've picked juvi."