It Only Takes One Shot

Chapter 31

“No.” I said.

“Sing!” The Warden said as she pressed the gun harder into my skull.

“Don’t listen to her!” Zigzag blabbered. “Don’t eve-” He was then firmly shaken to silence by Pendanski. I pressed my lips together and hugged myself to stop shaking. The Warden sighed and motioned at Mr. Sir. In that moment I looked up at Squid who was kneeling in the grip of the creepy  cowboy. His eyes were pleading.They seemed to say I’m sorry. I looked back puzzled; all I wanted was for him to like me again. It wasn’t his fault for anything. I tried to give him a look back but Mr. Sir shoved him towards The Warden. I noticed that Pendanski then passed Zigzag to Mr. Sir. Then the two councilors pulled out their guns. The Warden lifted hers off my head and clicked it at Squid. He shuddered under the barrel. Pendanski had his pointed at Charlie and Mr. Sir had his at Zigzag who was going paler and paler by the second. Charlie tried not to burst out into tears. Squid was biting his lip and had his eyes shut tight. His breath came out in short sharp bursts.

“No! What are you do-“ I squirmed and tried to get to Squid and my best friends. I was thrown back.

“Sing. Or watch them die.” The Warden hissed. The guns of Mr. Sir and Pendanski reloaded, making Zigzag and Charlie flinch. I felt I was going to be sick, but I swallowed it down, closed my eyes and started with a wavered note.

“You used to call me your angel” I started trying to make it as quite as possible.

“Speak up!” The Warden shrieked. I sung at speaking level, trying not to look up at the evil and scared faces.

“S-said I was sent straight down from heaven

You'd hold me close in your arms

I know you're in a better place

But I wish that I could see your face

I know you're where you need to be

Even though it's not here with me

They stole my love from me I can only say

That they will all pay

My treasure, which all you seek

Could be right beneath your feet

For what touched my lips, my love you took

And for his sake, my fortune you will look

Generation after generation, sons after sons

0-7-3-2-4-1”

I wavered those cursed numbers real slow not knowing what would happen next. As soon as I got to two, Zigzag cried out trying to cover up my voice. I think his paranoia kicked in at that moment. That’s when it happened. It was a blur of noise. My singing, Zigzag shouting, The Warden screaming for Mr. Sir to shut him up. That’s when the gunshot rang through the air. A horrible noise. Zigzag fell silent his mouth hung open in an O shape. Mr. Sir held the smoking gun in his hands. Pendanski shuddered in shock and blinked wildly.

You fucking retarded idiot!” The Warden gasped at him taking steps away whilst dragging a resistant Squid with her.

“Shit, it’s a reaction! I’m sorry!” He threw his hands in the air looking crazy and worried. The gun was in his hands. Pendanski almost reached for Zigzag, letting go of Charlie. It all seemed to go in slow motion. Charlie was wailing and ripping herself free from Pendanski and pushing him to the ground. Squid’s eyes were open wide, frozen in place. I pulled myself up and crawled to Zigzag’s pale body. He looked down and noticed that his white top was now red; it was pouring from his clutched shoulder. His eyes scrunched up in pain as he grabbed the cloth around the wound and fell back to the ground. He didn’t seem to be moving. Charlie was there before me, grabbing him and holding him in her arms. I couldn’t really tell if he was breathing or not. Then I saw him shudder and shake as if he had been electrified. He cried out in pain as I tried to help. I pushed down on the wound with my hands. He gulped as another shudder went through his body. Charlie was pale and shaking and patting down his hair as she rocked back and forth. My hands turned the rusty red color. My hearing was blurred but I could make out the conversation above us. Stanley and Zero were yelling from inside the hole. Pendanski was freaking out.