Fights and Confessions

Chapter 10

The morning routine was the same as yesterdays. The same gooey mess of a breakfast, the same dirty shovel line, the same walk to the digging site. After the sun was up and boiling me from the inside out I was done. Zero, Squid, Magnet and Stanley were all finished before me. This morning I was just too tired to dig fast.

“Do you know where Squid and Magnet went off too?” I asked Zigzag.

“They probably went to the Wreck Room, I’ll see you there when I’m done. Watch out for lizards…” I trudged over to the cabin witch was clearly labeled ‘Wreck Room’. A lot of noise and crashes came from inside.

The Wreck Room was literally a wreck. There was a sofa spewing fluff around it every time someone lounged on it. The old fashioned TV flashed blurred black and white lines probably since the antenna was bent. A rickety wooded bookshelf held dusty books that looked like they were from medieval times. It stunk. There were boys everywhere. They were either messing around with each other or beating each other up. As I walked further in I was greeted with wolf whistles. I blushed and searched in the crowded area for Squid or Magnet. They were playing a game of pool on discolored pool table that also looked like it had been torn to shreds. I bit my lip and walked swiftly towards them. I felt someone squeeze my butt. I whipped around and threw a punch instinctively.

“What the hell you bitch!” A greasy haired tall guy rubbed his face.

“What the hell you bitch!” I retorted back snarling. A crowd gathered around us. I saw the black haired boy stand beside my opponent. A different guy with curly blonde hair stood on the other. They were both snickering. Squid and Magnet looked up from their pool game.

“What did you just call me?” He growled and advanced towards me.  I have to admit this guy was scary; he was at least two heads taller than me. But I wasn’t going to let him see my fear. I stood my ground as he came closer.

“You heard me, I called you a bitch.”

“Why you little” he raised his fist in the air. I winced and prepared myself for the impact. But it never came. I opened my eyes and two pool cues were stabbing him in the chest, pushing him back. It was Magnet and Squid. X-Ray stepped in front of me shoving me behind him.

“Hey just chill man, nobody wants The Warden to come down on all of us.”

“Oh come on! I was just tryin’ to have a little fun with her.” He grinned at me. I spat at his feet. Some oohs came from the crowd. His grin disappeared and he pushed the cues away and stepped forward. Squid and Magnet joined X-Ray in defending me.

“Buck, Sam why don’t you control your pet?” Squid said.

“Nah, we’d rather have a good show.” Said Buck. Sam sniggered. The greasy haired guy lunged at us again. Squid and Magnet shoved him back.

“Dude lets not start a fight, Ember’s just a little feisty that’s all. You don’t want to harm a girl, it’s bad luck and I don’t think you need any more bad luck in your life.” X-Ray stated. That seemed to calm the freak down.

“Fine.” He turned away and went back to slouching in his chair.

“Come on chica, come over here with us.” Said Magnet as he pulled me by the hand over to the messed up pool table. I glanced behind me to see that the freak was still staring at me.

“Don’t look at him, he’s crazy.” Said Squid as we got to the pool table.

“Thanks guys.”  I smiled at X-Ray. He grinned back.

“No one hurts a D-Tent.” He said then he whispered something to me. “Don’t get involved with them, they’re pathetic B-Tents but their probably the worst of the bunch… Just be careful when you’re alone. ThLump is not a good person to be around alone.” I smiled at that too. These guys really are my friends.