Run , Zero , Run

Chapter 22

  “Basically, Zero almost killed Ricky!” Mr. Pendanski concluded his observation of the fight to The Warden. She looked unimpressed as always. I suspected that she thought he called her out here because one of us had found something. All that woman cares about is us diggin’ holes. We were all stood in our little groups; Zero and Stanley on one side then the rest of us on the other. I really didn’t know where to go so I stood in the gap between Squid and Zero. Squid was trying to move me closer towards him.

“Basically…” The Warden repeated. Squid grabbed my hand and subtly tugged me towards him. I shook him off. I gave him a look in the eye that I guess tried to mean; Zero is my friend as well as you guys, I am not choosing sides.  

“Uh, uh Ziggy was beatin’ up the Caveman right,” Armpit said, “and then Zero started chokin’ Zigzag. Em and Smarts ran in trying to help. But, I came in and I had to pull Zero off of ‘him.” 

“Yeah I mean, you know. Zig just got a little hot, out in the sun all day your blood starts to boil.” Said X-Ray. The Warden put her hands on her hips and strode towards Ziggy.

“Is that what happened Zigzag?” she asked. Zigzag was fiddling with the shovel he had in his hands nervously. Come on Zig be truthful! I willed but he didn’t exactly hear me… 

“Yep,” he mumbled. Zero’s jaw dropped and he looked at Stanley who just stared scornfully. “Like X-Ray said, working all day in the hot sun…” I shook my head. Charlie was chewing her lip looking around anxiously. “And Caveman sits round doing nothing.” In my head I was screaming the reason why at them, but I couldn’t do it for some reason.

“Excuse me? Caveman digs his hole just like everyone else.” The Warden said.

“Sometimes…” Zigzag muttered.

“Excuse me-“

“Mam,” Squid cut in taking his toothpick from his mouth. I was thinking that he might say what actually happened but boys are boys. I swear they always tell the bad parts of the truth. “Zero’s been diggin’ a part of Caveman’s hole everyday.”

 “You’re not diggin’ holes no more?” Mr. Sir roared which made me jump. I hadn’t noticed the creep was standing behind me before. I backed up into Squid who wrapped his arms around my waist. I guess he didn’t care if everyone was staring; even The Warden gave us a quick glance. Magnet was glaring. Mr. Sir backed Stanley to the blue truck. “Huh?”

“Well…I-I’m teaching’ him how to read.” Stanley said.

“He’s a smart kid.” I put in. Mr. P was gawking. I knew he was gonna start saying those stupid comments.

“Smart?” he laughed, “Oh yeah?” he turned and looked down at Zero, “Hey Zero, what does C-A-T spell? Huh?” Come on Zero, its cat! I cheered in my mind. Zero just stared up at him silently. He scrunched up his forehead in thought. “What does it spell?” Pendanski pushed. “Yeah he’s a real genius! He’s so stupid that he don’t even know he’s stupid.” This was making my blood boil.

“Okay from now on, I don’t want anyone diggin’ anyone else’s hole.” She went up to Stanley. “And no more reading lessons.”

“But-“ Stanley was going to protest but Mr. Sir went on one of his shouting sprees again.

“You know why you’re diggin’ holes? Because it’s good for yah, teaches you a lesson!”

“If Zero digs your hole for you, you’re not learnin’ your lesson, are you?” stated The Warden.

“But, why can’t I still just dig my hole and teach him how tah’ read?” asked Stanley. The Warden went right up to his face and hissed a response.

“Because I said so.”

“We know you mean well Stanley, but the mental stress just causes his brain to much of a challenge. That’s what made his blood boil not the hot sun!” Oh, I was very pissed…Squid probably saw me glowering and grinding my teeth that’s why he began to whisper things like;

“Don’t do what you’re about to do!” and “Please, you’ll get in trouble…” as he tightened his grip around my waist. I wasn’t gonna leap on Pendanski, but I sure did feel like it. Charlie then saw me too since she came up from behind and helped Squid with excuses for me not to do what I was about to do. Well it didn’t stop me.

“Will you cut that out?” I shouted at Pendanski jumping outta Squid’s grasp. Pendanski, Mr. Sir and The Warden all turned to face me. “He’s not that stupid at all! You just haven’t heard him say anything because you just butt in all the time. I swear everything that comes out of that boy’s mouth is smart!” They just laughed at me wickedly and turned back to Zero. I sulked and rolled back into Squid’s arms. At least I tried…

 “I’m not digging anymore holes.” Zero said shaking his head.

“Good.” The Warden stated as she turned to leave. But, just then Mr. P took Zigzag’s shovel and shook it in front of Zero’s face.

“I mean you might as well teach this shovel to read!” He passed it to him. Zero examined the shovel. I think he had a plan. “Here yah go Zero, it’s all you’ll ever be good for… D-I-G what’s that spell?” Zero shook the shovel in his hand. Thwack! Zero suddenly swung it at Pendanski’s face.

“Dig!” he said as Mr. P landed on the ground spread out like a starfish practically unconscious. Zero fled towards the desert. I was practically shocked out of my senses until, Stanley started yelling and cheering him on. Mr. Sir sprinted after Zero’s tiny frame, holding his gun out. Charlie joined in with the yelling.

“Don’t shoot!” The Warden screeched. “He can’t go anywhere!” Mr. Sir skidded to a halt.

“You think I was gonna shoot ‘im?”

“The last thing we need is an investigation.”

“I know that, it was a misinterpretation! Let him go then, let him go!” Mr. Sir waved his arms around. The Warden walked back to her Chrysler, picking up Zero’s filled canteen.

“I want round the clock guard on all water sources.” She dumped the water on Pendanski. He spluttered but still didn’t get up.  The boys were cracking up in disbelief at Mr. P twitching on the floor muttering random shit. ‘I still expect nine holes.’ The Warden said. Zero disappeared into the distance.