Thank You, Camp Green Lake

Chapter 5

Today was the day Stanley's father's commercial aired. Though we weren't on the best of terms, I was a friend to everyone else. Since Charlie and I were the only two girls they really knew I suggested bringing some of my new friends with me. So, I invited along, Mackenzie, Phoenix and Tara. It was literally pain with Tara when I subtly invited her. Then she started screaming and asking me questions if they were hot or not. I tried to speak but she kept interrupting, so I left it. Now today was the day. I had my typical black bikini under a flowing, white, casual looking sundress. It stopped a few inches above my knees, and I pulled the loose spaghetti straps back onto my shoulders as I turned to face the girls. Mack was wearing an oversized black Beatles t-shirt that was paired with a pair of jean shorts. She tried to brush through the knots her messy hair as she perched on my bed, making pouting faces when the brush ripped through one. Phoenix blew a pink bubble out of the gum she was chewing softly as she sat cross-legged on the floor. She laughed a bit when it popped over her nose. Her windswept hair was plaited and hung over her right shoulder. Her lime green tank top was tucked loosely into some caramel chinos that stopped at her ankles. Charlie had her typical checked top on with a pair of white jeans and tortoise shell sunglasses.

“Hurry up Tara! Your gonna make us late!”  She was shouting. Tara ignored her as she put the last bit of lip-gloss on her pink lips. She had faded jean shorts on that had faint flower patterns on it, her pale pink crop top stopped right before her belly button.

“It’s always better to be fashionably late, deary.”  Tara smacked her lips making a popping noise. She spun round and posed, flicking her black and gold wafer sunglasses down from her forehead. “How do I look?”

“Ew, you look terrible…fat ugly bitch!” I smiled and hugged her. “Amazing really.” 

“Okay, okay! Time to go!” Charlie said ushering us all out of the room.

“What’s got your knickers in a twist?” Mackenzie said as Charlie shoved her down the stairs.

“What’s got your panties in a bunch?” Phoenix copied as she skipped through the front door.

“Remember whose driving!” Charlie hissed, she swiveled the keys around the middle of her finger. Mack shrugged her shoulders and hopped into the back seats of the small red mustang. Tara ‘bagzied’ the front so I was squashed in the back with Mack and Phoenix, with my face practically squished against the window. The engine started with a coughing fit then kicked into action as Charlie pushed down on reverse. Once we were on the driveway Tara pushed on the music. Instantly Coldplay started to blast from the speakers.

“Please turn it off!” I shouted above it.

“But it’s my favorite song!” Charlie retorted. I like Coldplay, but not all their songs. Tara shut it up for me.

“We need rave music.” She stated then prodded the radio switch. The radio blurred and fizzed as she searched through the channels; Charlie drove us out of the Estates gate and onto the main road. Finally, Tara found some good old fashioned Queen and left it on that. We sung as loud as possible, even screaming out of the window as the scenery flashed by and the wind blew our hair in our faces. The people that were passing by looked at us stunned then disgust, well we were being a public disturbance. By half way on route we gave up, as we started to lose our voices. I drifted off into sleep on Phoenix’s shoulder but the silence of the engine being cut off stirred me.    The car was in walking distance to Stanley's house. I stumbled as I popped open the door and fell onto the concrete. I quickly stood up because I saw Squid was down by the white washed wooden gate of Stanley’s house and waiting for me. I glared at the car and started cursing it out. Standing up I looked at my boyfriend, walked over and blushed at Squid's wide-eyed expression.