Welcome to the Family

Chapter 8

The cabin was air-conditioned. It felt nice and cool on my arms, but I was regretting what cool air enticed me into.  The walls were light green and almost fully covered with picture frames and framed posters. The yellow curtains protected the cool room from the blaze of the sun. It was actually bigger inside than it looked from the outside. There was a kitchen door next to a big glass cabinet with different vases and wine glasses inside. There was also a small treasure chest. In the middle were two nicely pillowed red-velvet sofas with a wooden coffee table in-between. Underneath them was a woven striped rug. An office desk shrouded with paper and a large document folder was to my far right, next to what seemed to be the bedroom door.

“Come and sit here hun, I’ll go get you something to drink.” She patted the sofa closest to me and walked into the kitchen. I was surprised how kind her voice was in difference to what it was outside. As I walked toward the sofa, I noticed a familiar face on one of the posters hanging by the glass cabinet. I went to inspect it. It was Katherine. ‘Kissing Kate Wanted’ was the title. It looked like the front-page cover of an old western newspaper. I gawked at it. My great grandmother was on The Warden’s wall. She was in my dream. Which means that somewhere in a desert, maybe this desert, she buried treasure? Really old treasure, priceless treasure! But where? “I see you’re admiring my newspapers.” I turned to see The Warden holding two glasses of luscious clean water.

“Oh, yes…I-”

“Kissin’ Kate Barlow…” she interrupted me. “The best female looter in all of the country, she robbed banks from hell to Houston!”

“ I know…” I murmured and smirked. She gave me a weird look. “I…I meant that I…know because she was my great-“

“Your great-grandma,” she pointed at my files, “yes, I know everything about you.” Now that made me feel awkward. “Well enough about that, let’s talk about what happened.” I followed her to the sofas and sat down. “So tell me about it. Did those foolish boys annoy you?”

“No!” I almost shouted. She raised an eyebrow at me. “I-I mean no, no they weren’t annoying me. They had nothing to do with this.” I was trying to come up with a lie, but I hope that she didn’t notice. I didn’t want to lose my best friends. “Well, I was walking back from digging my hole and was passing by the Mess Hall. Then I saw a match on the ground. I decided to have some foolish fun and picked it up, and then I saw the two trees. So, I went over and took a look at them and didn’t notice I was scraping the tip of the match against the bark. Before I knew it the tree was on fire! I tried to put it out but I couldn’t and it kept growing and growing. Then the boys came over and helped me and we finally put it out.” I took in a deep breath. She looked unimpressed.

“Is that all?”

“Yes.”

“Well I see,” she pursed her lips and stared at the door, “If that’s it you can leave, go get the next one for me on your way out. “ I exhaled, relief spreading through me as I got up and headed towards the door.

“Thank you Miss…”

“You can call me Lou.”

“Thank you…Lou.” I said as I walked out of the cabin. The door shut behind me. The boys looked up at me and Squid got up, I presumed he was next. They all didn’t look at me; I think they were really pissed.

“The story is, that I picked up a match from behind the Mess Hall and foolishly scraped it on the bark. But, you guys don’t know this okay? You were just passing by and stopped to help me. You won’t get in trouble, I’ve taken the blame.” They stared at me and I turned to leave. Somebody grabbed my hand.

“Thank you.” Said Squid. I smiled and let go of his hand and ran all the way back to D-Tent. When I got in, I went and sat next to Zigzag. Zero, Stanley and Armpit lay on their beds exhausted.

"Hey, I saw you finished your hole, but where did you go?" he asked. I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. He no longer shuddered. “What’s up?” he sounded more concerned. I then explained everything.

“Now I think that they hate me… but I hope the Warden believes me…”

“Wow, you actually burnt the tree?” I answered with a nod. I he looked amazed. He then burst out laughing. I thought the matter was actually quite serious.

“What’re you laughing at?”

“What you did! It’s probably the most rebellious thing anyone has done to The Warden! Besides those aliens…”

“I didn’t mean to though.” I said blinking, ignoring the strange comment.

“Still…” he continued laughing. I glared at him but playfully punched his arm.

"Shit that hurts." I looked down at my hands and saw the biggest God damn blisters I had ever seen! I opened my other hand, only to be greeted by the same sight. I hate blisters! They're ugly and hurt a lot! I poked one and it sent pain shooting up my arm.

“Ooowww!” I wailed softly.

"It's alright, Mr. Sir says they all turn to um… I forgot the exact word, but they turn into something” He went silent for a moment, “callus…yeah callus eventually! He said the turned to callus." Zigzag stated slightly confused but cheerful.

"Yeah, well, he better be right." I tied the sleeves of my jumpsuit around me and walked over and sat down on Zero’s bed. He sat up. I was about to talk to him but Squid, X-Ray and Magnet walked through the covers of the tent. They all looked at me.

“Well did she believe you?” I asked and they all smiled. Relief swept over me.

“But, we have to do water duty for a week.” Said Magnet.

“What’s water duty?”

“Well, you go in pairs and you fill up those big barrels that go on the trucks. It’s real easy!” said X-Ray.

“Thank god, you guys didn’t get in trouble. I’m so sorry.” I apologized.

“Ha-ha you seriously don’t have to Ember, we tricked that bitch!” exclaimed X-Ray high-fiving Magnet.

“Err…Ember?” thinking back to the ones on the ground surrounding the tree.

“Yeah that’s your name Ember, welcome to the family.”

“Oh, so you give out the names when someone does something.”

“Well not usually but in your case yes.” A bell rung.

“Dinner time!” I got up and followed the guys out happily. Family…I’m part of their family!