10. Santa With a Stethoscope

Sid Smith

I see the blinding, white, light as soon as I open my eyes.

I wince quikcly closing them but I snap them open when I hear a heartwrenching sob.

"Maggie?" I croak.

She opens her bloodshot eyes as she comes out of her sitting position. Her eyes widden as she sees I'm the one who's called out her name.

"S-Sid?" She says, furiously wipping at her eyes. "Your okay?" She came to the side of the bed I was laying on and gripped my hand that wasn't broken.

Wait...I have a broken arm and I'm in a hospital?

Why? I've never been to a hospital before, save being born there.

"I think so. Unless we're both in heaven. So, what exactly happen to me?"

Maggie's eyes fill with tears again. "It was all my fault, Sid. If only I'd have forgiven you that night when you came to me none of this would have happened. Y- you were drunk Sid. After that night, you called me somewhere around the afternoon a-and you were drunk. You crashed into a bench a-"

"I crashed into a bench. I crashed into a bench? A fucking bench?" He asks in disbelief. "I guess I'm the most ridiculous person in the world."

"I'm sorry. I deserve all hurt I get from you and your sister." Maggie said and started sobbing loudly. I pulled her to my chest with one hand.

"How dare you say sorry. You've done nothing. I would never hate you, no matter what." I kiss the top of her head and stroke her hair gently.

How could she possibly think she had fault in this? It was my fault and my precious gem thinks it's hers. Such an innocent soul has been broken by me and doesn't deserve me. Yet, I still keep following her around like a lost puppy. I can't give up on her. Not now, not ever.

"I should be the one to apologize. I should never have cheated on you, Maggie. I'm sorry." I say sincerely.

Her face darkens with many emotions for a few seconds. "I forgive you." She says and I look at her face and I know she means it.

"Really? You mean it?" I aks, just to make sure. She nods.

"So does that mean I can finally take you out on a date again." I grin. But my smile soon falls off when I see her frown.

"No. I'm sorry Sid. I have a boyfriend now and I can't do the same thing you did to me with him." Ouch. That was a low blow.

Her facial expression quickly changes when she sees the hurt look on my face.

"We could be friends." She suggests. That hurt more.

She fucking friend-zoned me! Well if it beats being a friend than being nothing. If I'm her friend then that's atleast a start. I still have a second chance. I can get her back from that bastard.

"Okay." I force a smile to my lips.

"Okay? Okay." She smiles back. "Okay." She whispers to herself.

I can still see the raw but hidden emotions in her eyes. She still does love me. She loves me. That motivates me even more. I will not give up at all, even if I have a broken arm.

I look at her even more closely and see red marks on both of her cheeks. I remember the words she said before "I deserve the hurt I get from you and your sister."

"Maggie, did Tara hurt you?"

She shakes get head, too fast and too quick.

"N-no th-that never happen. I haven't even talked to her yet." I could tell she was lying.