1- Accords

Your head glanced up at the television. Steve sat on the table next to the couch, holding the remote in one hand, his face grimly fixed on the screen in front of him.

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The anchor says.

King T'Chaka's face appears on the screen, "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all."

Steve turns off his computer and walks out of the room. Your head snaps back to the television.

A different news anchors face appears on the screen this time, "They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these." You reach your hand out and the remote flies into it, and you click the television off.

Processing what you heard for a moment, you sigh.

"_______. Steve wanted me to inform you as well. Mr. Stark has brought a guest."

"Who is it Vision?"

"The Secretary of State."

_

When you enter the room, Secretary Ross is standing at the head of a table. Rhodey, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Sam, Vision, and Wanda are gathered around. You move in between Tony and Steve.

Secretary Ross begins his speech, "Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word vigilantes."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asks him inquisitivly.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He eyes you knowingly, when he said dangerous you could feel his eyes pouring into yours.

Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks.

"New York."

Terrified citizens.
A soldier firing a gun.
The Hulk smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera.

You swallow hard, your heart quickens in your chest. Would they take school away from you again? Would they take the Avengers from you?

You glance over at Natasha for some answers, but you see Rhodey first, he looks regretful.

"Washington DC."

The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other.
The destroyed Triskelion.
A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera.

"Sokovia."
Even more Terrified citizens, running.
The city rising.
A building falling over.

This you remember.
You were there.
They let you go out into the field. You remembered everything, lifting up chunks of the earth, using electricity to turn off people's brains. Inflicting pain on people.

You stare at the screen, transfixed by the seer amount of human suffering, along with Wanda and Tony.

"Lagos."
The burning buildings. That was your fault too. The fire. You remember destroying a gas pipe on accident.
Paramedics moving a body.
A dead girl.

You can sense Wanda squirming as well.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve intervenes. You nod a thanks to him.

Secretary Ross nods to an aide and the images disappear, "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

The same aide that turned off the screen, hands him a thick book, which Ross then slides across the table to Wanda. She picks it up, then hands it to Rhodey.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"I don't understand." You mutter to Ross.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve argues.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

"What does this have to do with anything. They wouldn't hurt anyone. Not on purpose." You say harshly.

Ross rolls his eyes at you, "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey says.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords...so why don't you all just," he moves his hand as if trying to find the right words, "talk it over?"

You narrow your eyes, "But what if we don't want to?"

"Then you retire."