4: Welcome to the World of Magic

FOUR: WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF MAGIC
DECEMBER 28
NICOLE BRADLEY

THERE WERE FOUR DIFFERENT KINDS of tea on the tray and beside them, six different types of sugar. Nicole Bradley's turquoise eyes widened at the variety—which, in her opinion, was more tea than anyone needed—and then she looked up at the woman sitting on the sofa across from her, who had more of everything than anyone needed.

She was an elegant woman with her ankles tucked back and her blonde bob combed smoothly. She had two sizable sapphires in either earlobe and her eyes were the same vibrant color as them. She wore a cream sheath dress, cut just below her knees, with a pair of pumps in an identical color. Around her neck was a large statement necklace crafted with the finest jewels in the Realm and her nails were painted a soft blush color. She was everything Nicole expected of her—Queen Clarion Diamond.

"Would you care for any cream with your tea?" Queen Clarion asked in a voice that was equal parts poised and regal. She had just finished fixing her tea and was waiting for Nicole to do the same.

"No thank you, Your Highness," Nicole said as she shook her head and accepted a cup off the tray. She carefully stirred a spoonful of sugar before setting the cup on the saucer where she let it cool.

The Queen's lips pressed together into a firm smile.

"Na-ah," she sing-songed with the slightest hint of a chuckle. "It's Your Majesty. Your Highness is for speaking to a prince or princess. Not the Queen."

Nicole's cheeks burned with embarrassment and she immediately began stumbling over her words. "Y-Your Majesty, I—I'm so sorry. I didn't—"

But what could she say? I didn't know because until four weeks ago, the only royalty I knew about was in England? I didn't know because I never imagined I'd be sitting across from an actual queen in a whole other world? Because I didn't know magic even existed?

Queen Clarion chuckled again which was odd, given the circumstances, but Nicole was relieved. At least she wasn't making a bad impression, right?

"It's nothing to worry about, dear," she reassured Nicole. "You've been through so much this last month. You're still learning. You'll get it next time."

Nicole nodded graciously and then lifted her tea to her lips for a cautious sip, desperate for something to distract from the blunder. She felt the sharp burn from the liquid on the tip of her tongue but wouldn't wince in pain. Not when the Queen was sitting there—so effortlessly elegant which only further proved the existence of magic.

"I'm sure it goes without saying, the Academy of Magic & Magical Studies would be honored to have you in its halls this spring," said the Queen and Nicole felt that knot in her chest loosen. The only reason for her visit to the palace was to finalize her admission to the Academy.

Unlike her soon-to-be-classmates, Nicole grew up in the Mortal World—Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to be exact. While she was attending high school at the local private institution, Billingsworth Preparatory School, her sister, Mariella, was supposed to be away at boarding school in New England. Four weeks ago, Nicole learned the truth.

Magic was real. She was a wizard. And her sister was dead.

Shortly after discovering the truth, Nicole chose to transfer to the Academy for the rest of her senior year. Her parents weren't easily convinced—especially considering Nicole was asking to go to the very place where Mare was just killed. But after a skillful argument and expert PowerPointpresentation, she had convinced them. Shortly after, her parents gave her the family's traveling agent (an old pocket watch from the Civil War that was enchanted with a spell to travel among the Three Realms) and she began packing her bags.