10: The Good Ones Come Calling

TEN: THE GOOD ONES COME CALLING JANUARY 10 PHOEBE DOMINGO 

"COME ON, FI, YOU HAVE to go!" Drew was saying as he walked with Phoebe that Wednesday afternoon. They'd just finished an extremely difficult test in Enchantments which Phoebe probably failed and had Wil not disappeared right after (like she'd been doing a lot lately), she probably would've said she did too.

"I don't know, Drew..." Phoebe whined. "A party? Don't you think Dr. K will bust it?"

The tall boy laughed and shook his head.

"In case you haven't noticed darling, Dr. K hasn't exactly been following through with his duties as Senior Advisor lately."

Dr. K was one of four teachers assigned as an advisor to each of the residence halls. Like the other advisors, he oversaw distributing and collecting room keys, making sure all students adhered to the curfew and solving any disputes between roommates. Dr. K had the seniors, Mr. Westville had the juniors, Mrs. Truly had the sophomores and Mr. Geralono looked after the freshman. During the fall semester, Dr. K was more diligent with his duties but after the holidays, he disappeared to the palace any chance he got. In his absence, the seniors had free rein.

"Listen," Drew said as they arrived at the Dining Hall for lunch. "This party is happening with or without you and I think you should come. Let loose for a little while. We've only got a few more months here and then we're gone. When was the last time you knocked back a few drinks and enjoyed yourself?"

"Probably never," a voice behind them answered and Phoebe saw Alex Hummel and Liam Heart joining them in line for lunch. "Everyone knows our little Phoebe doesn't drink."

Phoebe offered a timid smile. Growing up with a mother like Lyla meant Phoebe didn't have time for parties. She was always taking care of her mom. And when she wasn't taking care of her, she was afraid of turning into her.

"Okay, okay," Phoebe finally conceded because the party wasn't until Friday and she figured she'd come up with an excuse to bail before then. "Fine. I'll go."

"That's my girl!" Drew laughed. Then he turned to Liam. "Have you talked to Levi? Is he coming with the guys?"

Liam nodded. "They'll be here. Davina and Monty are bringing a few bottles so we have to get the money for them."

Drew nodded and mentioned something about having it stashed in his room. And then he added something about how Monty better not skip out on them like he did last time.

Levi Heart, Davina Salvatore, and Montgomery West were three of the Academy's extensive alumni who remained close with current students. Levi, Liam's older brother, and Monty played soccer with the boys while Davina, Levi's ex, liked to tag along for the ride. Her younger sister, Effie, was a senior there too.

The line in the Dining Hall progressed and Drew handed Phoebe a tray before grabbing one for himself. Behind them, Liam and Alex waited their turns.

"Where's Diamond?" Drew asked, adding a cheeseburger and fries to his tray. "She disappeared after class."

Phoebe shrugged. "She never came back to the room last night. I figured she crashed with you." In the past, Wil had a habit of spending the night with Drew. It was never romantic but that didn't stop the rumors that the two had some hot secret affair.

Drew shook his head. "Not last night. But it's Diamond. Maybe she slipped in and out while you were asleep."

But Phoebe was certain she hadn't come to the room at all. "You don't think she disappeared on vacation again, do you?" Last year, Wil disappeared from the Academy for an entire nine days which she spent at an upscale spa in the mountains. She didn't tell anyone she was leaving which was particularly frustrating for Queen Clarion.