13: The Devil's Gonna Make Me a Free Man

THIRTEEN: THE DEVIL'S GONNA MAKE ME A FREE MAN
JANUARY 29
WIL DIAMOND

"BECAUSE OF THE FULL MOON, everyone must be in the North Hall by five o'clock tonight," Dr. K reminded his class towards the end of the period. "The Dining Hall will be open earlier for dinner but you must be back in your dorm building by five. No exceptions."

In her seat with her phone in her lap, snapping a piece of gum against the roof of her mouth, was Wil Diamond. She had a finger pointed at her pent which spun around the top of her desk like a bottle and she couldn't have been less interested in Dr. K's lecture. They'd been learning about werewolves which was only fitting considering that night was the full moon. While the non-wolf faction in the Academy bunkered down in their respective residence halls, Dr. K would lead those affected by the werewolf curse to the Lockroom.

The Lockroom was an empty warehouse-turned-highly-secured-werewolf-sanctuary. Equipped with indestructible cells, secure chains, and enchanted with protective spells, it was created after a particularly fatal full moon decades ago. Werewolves all over the Realm gathered there once a month to keep themselves and others safe during their transition. Casualties had gone done exponentially—with the exception of Nikolaus Briggs who was killed on the full moon last November.

"Prince Leo and Montgomery West will be sticking around the North Hall tonight to make sure you all stay out of trouble," Dr. K told his class. In December, he enlisted the help of Carter Riggs, another Academy alum who was off studying law in the Mortal World. "I'll be back from the Lockroom sometime tomorrow afternoon."

While Dr. K continued going through the same list of precautions he went through every full moon, Wil twirled her finger and shot a small Fulgus Cice spark at Drew, who sat a few seats ahead of her. He flinched at the sting and then whipped his head around.

"Damn Diamond," he cursed quietly, rubbing his butt which was surely sore now.

"You good?" she mouthed, because it wasn't long ago when the full moon claimed his father as an innocent victim. Drew wasn't one for sharing feelings—certainly not when it came to his dad—and probably wouldn't have told her if he wasn't. But she figured it was worth that reminding him if he wanted to talk, she'd be there.

He nodded and then turned back around—she wasn't surprised. He was probably the only person in the Three Realms more reluctant to talk about the past than her.

Her eyes drifted around the room, landing on the windows to her left. They looked over the Academy grounds, which were coated by a dull gray haze that day. The sky was the same color—like it'd been raining—and the temperature looked like it was just above freezing. Most of the snow had melted away but there was more due in a night or two. In the window's reflection, she saw the classroom door left ajar. She spun to look at the hallway which was empty while classes were in session. But soon enough, a familiar face passed.

Damon Donovan was walking with his arms full of supplies and when his eyes met hers, he stopped long enough to smile at her. She winked back at him and had every urge to get up from her chair to meet him. But she knew better. So she took her phone and typed a quick message, watching for his reaction.

WIL DIAMOND: You look good today.

After a few minutes, her phone buzzed with a reply and she was quick to check it.

DAMON DONOVAN: Well you look extraordinary every day.

SHE SLIPPED INTO A LEATHER jacket and wrapped a chunky scarf around her neck before adjusting the laces on her boots. It was just before five and though the rest of the student body made their way into their respective residence halls, Wil was on her way out. Leo was due any minute with Monty to cover the North Hall for Dr. K and Wil was hoping to slip out before they arrived.