22: The Beast Within

TWENTY-TWO: THE BEAST WITHIN
FEBRUARY 24
PHOEBE DOMINGO

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!" SHE shouted, striking him across the face again. "What kind of person keeps something like that to themselves?" She balled her fingers into a fist and punched him in his strong shoulder. "You're a werewolf? Why wouldn't you tell us? What about the full moon? How could you put us all in danger like that?"

"Fi—"

Drew lifted his arm to shield his face while she continued taking her anger out on him.

"Would you just—"

Then he grabbed her arms and pinned them to her side. She wriggled but couldn't break herself free. Was his strength another part of the werewolf curse? She couldn't be sure.

"First of all—" He was smirking. "—Stop hitting me. You're pocket-sized so you really should learn how to hit someone. You hit like a bunny."

Phoebe's frown deepened.

"Second of all—" He held her arms firm. "—I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I thought I'd have more time."

"More time? The full moon is in three days!"

"That's what Dr. K was talking to you about, wasn't it?" Wil asked and she was much calmer than Phoebe. How? They were best friends. She must have felt betrayed by him too, right?

He nodded and Phoebe's freckly face tightened with frustration. She gave her arms one last tug to free them and then crossed them over her chest stubbornly. There were a million different things she wanted to say to him but none of them came out. So she blew a chunk of hair out of her eyes and mumbled.

"I'm going to shower."

She heard his heavy footsteps after her all the way up to the bathroom and he stuck his foot in the way of the door so she couldn't shut it.

"Fi, come on. I'm sorry I didn't tell you but I didn't exactly tell anyone."

Phoebe met his eyes with a glare. He smiled through it and there was something so infectious about his smile that even the coldest of stares softened in its presence.

"But I'm not just anyone, Drew. I'm your friend. And Wil's your friend. And Liam and... And friends tell friends when the full moon turns them into a werewolf! Why would you keep this from us?"

"Because I'm a werewolf, Fi," Drew said like it should've been obvious. "And I saw my dad die. And once a month I break every bone in my body and it's gruesome and horrible and I didn't want to talk about it. Especially not to you."

Phoebe wanted to ask what he meant by singling her out but instead she asked, "You saw your dad die?"

He nodded. "I saw all of it. His pack showed up and asked about a key. At the time, I thought they meant a key for a house or a safety deposit box. But now, after seeing his name on that list..."

"They killed him to get access to here." She felt sick just saying the words. "But they were his pack. Why would they kill him?"

"That's the part I never understood," he admitted. "Since November, I've wondered about it. But I'll never forget the look in their eyes. It was like they weren't themselves."

"You think someone was making them do it? Like who? Bartemius?" That was the first time she'd said his name and it stung her tongue like acid, leaving a foul taste in her mouth.