6: Before Everything Got So Complicated

SIX: BEFORE EVERYTHING GOT SO COMPLICATED
JANUARY 3
PHOEBE DOMINGO

BY SUNDAY, EVERYONE HAD HEARD about the Royal Council's not guilty verdict. Word about Wil Diamond's return had spread and opinions were mixed. Half thought she should've been expelled (or Banished) while the other half believed she was a victim and was only in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In an attempt to remain neutral (given that her new roommate was the girl in question), Phoebe made every effort to move back into the Academy as quietly as possible. She arrived on campus early enough in the morning to avoid the rush of her classmates and from there, made her way to the North Hall, where she and the rest of the senior class lived.

The Academy of Magic & Magical Studies was an old castle and over time, had been expanded to six buildings. The first, at the front of campus, was the Main Hall and it was the original castle. It had been updated and renovated into a school building with a large library, Dining Hall, Faculty's Residence, classrooms and more. In the center of campus was the Athletic Hall, a state-of-the-art gymnasium complete with team locker rooms, training rooms, and an incredible stadium. Then, positioned around the campus in their respective places were the North, East, West, and South Halls—dorm buildings for the students.

The North Hall—the most prestigious of the four residence halls—was a ghostly kind of empty when Phoebe arrived with three duffle bags thrown over her shoulders and a backpack dragging along the ground behind her (courtesy of a levitation charm which was still a work in progress). When she entered the building, she was pleased to see Dr. K sitting in the lounge with a clipboard on the cushion beside him and a few room keys.

"Phoebe Domingo," he smiled upon her entry. "How were your holidays?"

She shifted one of her bags on her shoulder. "They were good," she lied seamlessly. "Lots of food. Did you enjoy your break?"

Dr. K nodded. In addition to his responsibilities at the Academy, Dr. Evan Karamazov was King Diamond's closest friend and spent the majority of his time at the Royal Home during the holidays—more so after recent events. WoMWeekly published an article about him after he stopped Reagan's attack and the press had yet to die down.

"It was eventful, to say the least," he replied with a chuckle and then he glanced over at his clipboard. "If I remember correctly, you're switching rooms for the semester?"

Phoebe nodded, recalling the letter sent to her from the Academy. "Room 406," she replied.

Dr. K scribbled something on his clipboard and then dug through the keys beside him before selecting one carefully and passing it to her.

"Room 406," he said as she secured the key in her hand. "I don't believe my goddaughter has arrived yet so you should be the first to your room."

Phoebe nodded. The goddaughter Dr. K was so fond of, the one and only Wil Diamond, was notoriously late and likely wouldn't arrive on campus until later that day. Her absence meant Phoebe would have time to move in by herself, a luxury not afforded to many.