9: Royally Screwed

NINE: ROYALLY SCREWED
JANUARY 5
WIL DIAMOND

TUESDAY MORNING, WIL WAS IN the North Hall's kitchen with Phoebe Domingo—who was making them each a cup of coffee to go. Unlike most of their peers who opted for the breakfast buffet in the Dining Hall, the girls preferred a little extra sleep over French toast.

"So I saw Liam at the gym yesterday," Phoebe said while they stood at the counter, sipping their coffees. "Actually, I saw him changing."

Wil pursed her lips eagerly. Liam Heart was one of the most attractive seniors, after all. "Lucky you."

Phoebe rolled her violet eyes. "What I meant was when he was changing, I saw his arm. He has a tattoo—a rope with eight knots. That can't be a coincidence, can it?"

"No Fi, it's definitely no coincidence," Wil replied while she thought. "Did he see yours? Did you ask him about his?"

Fi shook her head and then added a few (dozen) spoons full of sugar to her coffee.

"I couldn't ask him. We don't know what it's about and what if it's something bad?"

"Do you remember the pain?" Wil asked because it was only yesterday morning when they woke up with some of the worst pain imaginable. "Of course it's something bad. In what Realm does that much pain mean something good?"

"But it's Liam," Phoebe urged. "He's never done a bad thing in his life."

"Doesn't mean someone didn't do something bad to him."

"I think we should tell someone. Someone in the Infirmary or Dr. K or your mom. I don't think we should be keeping this a secret."

"Well, one of us was just cleared of a double murder charge so I don't think we should be announcing this from the rooftops either."

Phoebe tugged the hood of her red Academy sweatshirt over her messy waves and then swung her Nike backpack over her shoulder. Wil grabbed her bag as well and together, the girls started walking to the Main Hall for class.

"Okay, so we don't tell anyone," Phoebe agreed while they walked. "But I think we should at least look into it. Do you think there's anything in your mom's office about this? That's where they keep all the restricted stuff, right?"

Wil nodded while they walked through the cold, clutching her hot coffee to warm her fingers. "Call me crazy but I don't think I'll be able to waltz in and check out a restricted book again."

"What about the comet?" Phoebe asked while they walked and Wil made a face. "Cupid's Comet, remember? In a few weeks, the comet will pass and there's going to be a dance. Your mom never misses the dances. She'll be in the ballroom all night. We could sneak in her office then."

Wil thought for a moment before she ultimately agreed, shivering as they walked through the wintery outdoors. Due to yesterday's bright sun,, most of the snow melted and left a slushy mess on the cobblestone. Wil was careful where she stepped but every few feet, the soles of her Tory Burch boots slipped and she nearly fell on her butt.

When the girls reached the Main Hall, they entered it quickly. The artificial heat blasted them with warmth and Wil undid her coat, swiping a finger through the air and making it disappear like she'd never worn it in the first place. The girls reached the staircase and as they started up it, they were joined by two friends—Drew Briggs and Xavier Fallon.

"Well look who finally got out of bed!" Drew joked and threw an arm around either girl while they conquered the staircase. Xavier, Drew's roommate, smiled 'hey' at both the girls and Wil rolled her eyes at Drew.