27: Isolated Incidents

TWENTY-SEVEN: ISOLATED INCIDENTS
MARCH 5
KATE DIAMOND

"EVAN KARAMAZOV WAS A MAN of integrity, honor, and unwavering loyalty."

Walter Diamond stood at the head of a room full of people, speaking about what a great man Dr. Sir Evan Karamazov was. And Kate sat in a throne along four others just like it, listening as he did.

"Everything he did was for the good of his family, his friends, and his students. Though he did not have a family of his own, I considered him a part of mine. He was a second father to my children, a devoted educator and mentor, and above all, my oldest and dearest friend."

The entire Realm must have come out to the funeral and Kate probably should have been happy to see so many people honoring Dr. K. But as she sat there, crossing and uncrossing her legs, she never felt so alone.

On her left sat Wil—with emerald eyes so low, they hardly stayed open—and she reeked of the weed she'd smoked with Drew before the service. At the time, Kate had walked past it and Wil offered her a hit but she declined. As enticing as spending the day in a dull haze sounded, she wouldn't do that. Dr. K deserved more than that.

She fidgeted with the white gold tiara on her head—one she only wore during special events—and readjusted it for a third time. She needed to keep her hands busy. Actually, she really needed to keep her mind busy but listening to her father's eulogy made that impossible.

She eyed the crowd. She didn't know half of the people there but she did know there was someone missing. Cam. Strained as their relationship was towards the end, she never wanted him to go away. She certainly didn't want him to turn himself over to his Dark father.

Since he'd left, she hadn't heard a thing from him. Not a call. Not a text. Not even a stupid email.

It was impossible not to fear the worst.

THE FOLLOWING DAY, KATE AND her siblings boarded the family's private plane for a trip to a private resort where they would be spending Spring Break. Dozens of reporters were there, snapping pictures and shoving microphones at the trio of Diamond Royalty, who were escorted by their individual security details. Maximus Alderman, Kate's long-term guard, positioned himself between her and the paparazzi, guiding her to the safety of the plane.

Following Conner Richards, a large man who looked like he had ties to the mafia, was Leo. As he walked, he would tighten the tie around his ponytail—his effort to appear unbothered by the scene. Mr. Flynn escorted Wil, who was hiding another hangover behind an oversized pair of sunglasses, and together they walked straight onto the plane.

Kate tried her hardest to tune out the shouting around her while she walked but it was much louder than ever before. Usually all they wanted was a few pictures of her outfit, maybe some gossip about her relationship. Not that day. The press asked an assortment of questions from Dr. K (who was believed to have died due to a rogue Dark attack) to the twins' graduation months away.

"Your Highnesses, anything to say about the claims that Mr. Karamazov's death was premeditated?"

"Princess Wilmarie! Princess Katarina! Any thoughts on your upcoming graduation? Will you be working with your mother?"

"Prince Leo, respond to the rumors that you've begun dating again!"

"First November, and now this? Will the World of Magic ever be safe again?"

Their mother taught them from a very young age that they were not to speak to the paparazzi. They had a habit of twisting words and creating scandals in order to sell their papers, Normally, the three pushed their way through the cluster of reporters without even uttering a single "no comment".