Chapter 14

"Hey," Hannah said, curling up on the couch beside Olivia and wrapping her arms around her. "How'd Wyatt's graduation go?"

Olivia groaned. "As if the whole thing with the pinning ceremony wasn't enough. It was basically a mess of a weekend."

"The pinning wasn't that bad," Hannah said. "You weren't the only one who was late. Actually, one of the newbies was like ten minute late."

"Yeah, I was almost an hour late. And I'm not new," Olivia said.

"Ava will get over it."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, that's what she's known for, forgiveness. Sorry," she said. "I know you're trying to help."

"It's okay," Hannah said. "It's a rough time of year. Lord knows I probably haven't been easy to live with either."

Olivia cocked her head to the side. "What are you talking about? You're the most laidback person I know."

Hannah shrugged. "I don't know. I feel like I haven't had a lot of time lately. Remember when we used to watch our trash TV every night, no matter what? Now we're both so busy. I don't know, it makes me sad."

"I'll always watch trashy TV with you," Olivia said. "Maybe we'll just have to stream it now, that's all. And I promise I won't watch any of our shows this summer so we can binge when you get back."

"Yeah," Hannah said, brightening a little. "That sounds like a plan. And by then it will be fueled by pumpkin spice everything and five-dollar pie specials. So, tell me about the graduation. My Uber's on the way," she added, glancing at her phone. "The idiot is circling the park blocks at a snail's pace. Oh, my God, cross the bridge!" she yelled at the phone. "Sorry, go ahead."

Olivia laughed, watching Hannah yell at the Uber app. "I wish you didn't have to go," Olivia said.

Hannah smiled. "You can always come with me! My parents wouldn't care, and their house is huge. I mean, not huge by other Silicon Valley standards, but big enough."

Olivia shook her head. "Too much to do here. Besides, by the time the spring performance and internship is over, I'll probably be too wiped out to even think about traveling."

"So ..."

"So, apparently Wyatt and I are getting married."

"What?" Hannah looked down at Olivia's empty ring finger.

"I'm not serious. But that's basically what he told his mom—in front of me, with no warning."

"Why would he do that?"

"I don't know! And then afterward, he asked me to move in with him."

"Wait, you're moving out?"

"No. I don't know. I told him I needed time to think, and he basically gave me two weeks to decide."

"So you might not be here when I get back? This all seems really sudden. Do you think he's freaking out about med school?"

"I have no idea, but the way he's been behaving lately—not just lately, for months—I can't believe he'd even ask me to live with him."

"Maybe you shouldn't be so hard on him," Hannah said. "Graduation, moving, med school, it's a lot. I'm sure he'll be back to normal once things settle down."

"That's what I've been telling myself for the past year, but it just keeps getting worse."

"Don't you love him?" Hannah asked. Her face shone with sincerity.