Chapter Five

After the Ministry Incident, the three sisters were sadly forced to depart, one after the other. Work called to Dulcie luring her back to the US after an outbreak of Dragon pox. Next to go was Isabelle, who responded to a different calling: Her mother. Finally, Cynthia met a pair of Norwegian twins in the village and after hearing their vivid descriptions of the Northern Lights, simply had to go with them. Jasper wasn't all too happy to see her leave with strangers, or any of them go as a matter of fact but was helpless to stop it.

Now that her sisters were gone, Aubrey dared to ask her parents if she could spend the last three days of the holiday at Lexy's. Although they were a little hesitant given Aubrey's current situation, they eventually agreed seeing as it was only for a few days.

Aubrey considered herself modestly well off, their rustic stone cottage was a decent size with lots of pretty, if slightly crazy, trees in the garden. They could have had more but Aubrey rarely wanted for anything.

However, Lexy's wealth was on another level. 

Nestled in the heart of the Surrey Hills, 'Master's Manor' as Aubrey called it, was immaculate in every way. The House dated back to Tudor times, a wide, grey stone manor with turreted balconies and beautiful bay windows that one could lounge in on sleepy mornings. The entire estate was covered by a dizzying array of perfectly considered flowers stretching the entire length of the long driveway. Inside was even more incredible, the Masters truly were perfectionists; every inch of the house fit the regal aesthetic they so desired. However there were little hints of modernism decorated sparsely throughout, the most recent addition being a rather fabulous swimming pool. 

When Mary dropped her off, Mrs Masters answered the door, smiling demurely at them. After a sweet greeting, she told Aubrey, "Well, Alexandra is being rather rude not answering the door herself for her guest today."

" Why?"

"Well, as you may know, the new pool was finally been finished about a week ago and we haven't been able to get her out since. That girl will most likely have flippers and gills by the time she returns to Hogwarts," Mrs Masters turned to Mary, "That can't actually happen, can it? Ralph and I never quite know with these things."

"Don't worry, not a chance." 

Mrs Masters' face was usually somewhat unemotional but the relief was still evident, "Thank you for reassuring me, Mary..." She glanced down at Aubrey who was trying and failing to suppress her eagerness, "If you go to the left and head straight on, the pool is out the back."

"Thank you!"

When Aubrey arrived at the pool after a mad dash, Lexy was already in, squealing loudly when she saw her friend. By the time they had finished their excited embrace, Aubrey was soaking wet but that was no matter as she simply changed into her swimming costume and joined Lexy. It was good to be reunited with her friend and it was several hours before the two girls were tired out, retiring to the pool's edge.

"Aubrey, I may have done a terrible thing," Lexy reclined dramatically, "The worst thing that anyone's ever done ever in the history of doing things."

"Lay it on me, hon," Aubrey smiled, "Although I may have you beat ..."

"There's a very small chance I may be back into Roger - HEY!" She jumped up as a splash of water hit her stomach. Looking down, she noticed one of Aubrey's legs had moved slightly and glowered, "Why did you do that?!"

"You're in your swimming costume, it doesn't matter," Aubrey pointed out, "But I splashed you in a sort of wake up call way ... I thought you were over this!"

"I thought so too! At the end of last year, I thought that maybe ..." Lexy suddenly went quiet, "Never mind."

"Tell me."