Chapter Forty Two

"Maybe she won't show up..." Aubrey said/hoped as she and the twins peered around the corner to the main gates of Hogwarts. Sadly this was quickly debunked when, illuminated in the moonlight, a stout, pink figure came into view. Her Dad hadn't replied to help her like she'd hoped he would even though Angela assured her it had been sent directly to him rather than through Mary; her owl was good and it would not get into the hands of Mrs Jackson this time. Still, she wasn't about to back out now. Umbridge had followed through and now Aubrey had to do the same.

"You two will be keeping watch the whole time?" Aubrey asked, her fingers still tightly entwined in Fred's, unwilling to let go of him.

"The whole time," Fred promised, kissing her forehead as she finally let him go, stepping back a bit. It was only thanks to Harry that they could, the boy having kindly lent the twins his cloak for the urgent matter. Her feelings with regards Harry Potter had really changed drastically over the past year to say in the least.

"Okay," She took a deep breath, possibly to calm herself down and possibly as procrastination, "I'm going to go now, I'm going to find out all I can ... wish me luck."

This was met by silence, neither of them quite sure what to say. Wishing her 'good luck' in a moment like this would just feel ... stupid. Instead, she merely smiled as they disappeared from sight. Then she straightened herself out a bit before walking over to Professor Umbridge. Usually being out so late at night in the corridors would freak her out but seeing as Umbridge was the one who usually dolled out the punishments she was safe ... in that way anyway.

"Professor?" She whispered loudly, standing strong as Umbridge primly turned herself around. For a moment, the woman's primness suddenly disappeared, her eyes gleaming hungrily before she quickly composed herself once more. 

"Aubrey Jackson. You're a few minutes late, my dear."

"We didn't set a time," Aubrey pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

"... come this way," Umbridge ignored what she'd just said, ushering Aubrey to follow as she began to walk along the corridor. As Aubrey walked past the corner where the twins had stood, she was pleased to see no trace of them other than a small shuffle of footsteps which indicated they were hopefully following. She only hoped they could keep up; for such a short-legged woman, Umbridge truly knew how to power walk.

"Professor, where are we - "

"No questions. I'm sure you already know," Umbridge said plainly.

If Fred were here in her place, he'd no doubt had something sassy to say but Aubrey held her tongue, following quietly. At first, she had no idea where they were headed but slowly it became clear. The Astronomy tower. The shuffle of footsteps from the twins occasionally comforted her yet it didn't stop her heart from racing; hopefully, Umbridge wouldn't push her off if she didn't tell her what she wanted to hear.

Umbridge seemed to be invincible, not even tired as she walked up the stairs whilst Aubrey panted behind. Her left ankle was killing her and it was times like this she missed being in Fred's athletic body. Still, she made it, at last, expecting Umbridge to be watching her unsympathetically. Instead, the woman was stood by the edge, looking out across the grounds.

"Professor, why are we at the Astronomy tower?" She asked after a pause.

Umbridge took a moment to reply, her fingers balling into two neat fists. She didn't turn around as she spoke, "You still don't remember this place? Do you have any of your old memories?" At last, she turned, "Are we still going to play this game when I have made it so clear that I know ..." Aubrey returned this with a blank look, "I understand but this feels cruel. But for you, I'll talk ... reality and fantasy did blend you for you, perhaps this will help ground you. Perhaps once I explain the puzzle to you ... you'll come back to me, Gil?"