Chapter Twenty Two

Umbridge caught on fast and less than a day after the meeting a decree had been passed banning all student organisations. Aubrey assumed this meant an end to Harry's classes before they'd even started but Fred assured her that with Hermione on his side, this wasn't the case. 

The woman must have had ears literally nestled in the walls, the speed with which she found information out was incredibly impressive.

Luckily, the observant yet possibly evil teacher still hadn't caught wind of Aubrey and Fred's plan to uncover her at least. They were a lot more sneaky though now, no longer using the Arithmancy classroom, keeping everything in their heads rather than parchment. In fact, she told nobody, not even Lexy of their latest development, pretending she and Fred were going for a lover's stroll. To the outside observer, it would have looked that way, with Aubrey's arm linked around his. 

"Aubs, I have something that you'll like," Fred said, playing along as he pulled some parchment from his robes.

"Merlin's Beard, could this be a romantic poem you've written just for me to make this romantic stroll even more romantic?"

He grinned, "Why of course," Before tapping it with his hand, whispering, "I solemnly I swear I'm up to no good."

"Beautiful poem, Fred," She murmured.

"Can't take credit, I'm afraid," He replied, looking at the map whilst Aubrey kept an eye out for peeping Tom's, "The Fat Friar's in the corridor near the Astronomy Tower ... he's just hanging out it looks like."

"Probably talking to a painting," Aubrey replied, "He does that sometimes."

"Well, to the Astronomy Corridor, it is!"

"One sickle says she's a Hufflepuff," Aubrey said, "I know a Hufflepuff when I see one."

"Oh, you're on, Aubs. Surprised to see you making bets after what happened to me last year."

"Well, unlike Ludo Bloody Bagman, I pay up..."

It appeared that night that Fred Weasley would be one sickle poorer and Aubrey, should she choose to accept them, would have gloating rights for the next few weeks.

"I remember her, I never forget a student," The Fat Friar shivered the moment they brought Umbridge up, "You know, she never smiled at me when I floated through the Hufflepuff Common Room, not once. Although I believe she didn't notice me, her eyes were always on a different target."

"So she was a Hufflepuff?"

The Fat Friar sighed, floating down a little way out of gloominess, "Yes, she was. I was quite surprised to see her return, most people never do when they had an experience like that."

The bet had now gone from Aubrey's mind, instead replaced by confusion at the usual cheery Fat Friar ... frowning. She knew full well Hufflepuffs could be tough but the Fat Friar was a ray of sunshine. He still managed to smile when Nick got petrified.

"Um, Fat Friar ... we actually need to talk to you about her, she's been acting weird - "

" - weirder than usual, we mean," Fred added.

"Let's not talk about her," He said quickly, "There are so many nice things to discuss and once you start talking about Dolores ... you go into other things. Things we choose not to mention at Hogwarts for the good of everyone," His face suddenly clouded, "I do remember her clearly, she was never evil ... a nuisance at times, a stickler for the rules most definitely but the evilness that ... came later."

"After what?" Fred prompted, "Was it to do with ... Merlin's beard, 'course I forget the name now."

"What name?" Aubrey hissed.