Chapter Twenty Nine

The next morning, Aubrey was up at the crack of the dawn. Discussing the events of the day before with Fred would have to wait (if Lexy didn't get to him first) as she was a girl with a mission: find McGonagall.

However, it appeared she wasn't the only one with that idea. When she arrived at the office, the sound of raised voices could be heard, a jolt going through Aubrey's stomach as she realised one of them was Umbridge and they appeared to be discussing her.

" - this is no coincidence, Minerva, I can assure you that," Umbridge's voice was shrill, making no effort to hide it probably because she suspected that nobody else would be up at this time, "I suspend her boyfriend from the team for perfectly valid reasons and the next day, a letter from her parents arrives, telling me my behaviour towards the girl is unacceptable. It's clearly blackmail of sorts, she wants him to return to play but won't say it outright ... this is exactly the sort of thing Jasper would do all the time, surely you see the connection, he was in your house after all! I won't tolerate this!"

"Professor Umbridge, I'm still not entirely sure why you're here. The letter was clearly addressed from Mary Jackson, not Jasper," McGonagall replied. A sudden warmth spread through Aubrey as she realised her Mother hadn't just let the issue go passively. It was a little bizarre that she didn't tell Aubrey though but right now, that wasn't the main issue.

"May I remind you, Dolores, that you were the one who pushed for the suspension. Are you now asking me to reverse it or merely hear to vent about a parent complaint which I'm sure you're more than used to equipped with dealing with. "

"You know this letter is more than that though! Look at this ... the little flower, perfectly drawn, she's taunting me. And it mentions things from the past to back up her wild accusations, read it again and you'll see!"

"Once was enough. Whilst I do believe some of the things she mentioned were a little unnecessary, Mary's hardly a student here, I don't really see what you expect me to do. Nowhere in the letter does it mention Fred Weasley nor the suspension, Mary was merely expressing concern for how you appear to be treating her daughter - "

"No doubt she planned this though, it's far too much of a coincidence. Jasper did this sort of thing, you know that just as much as I do!" Umbridge hissed, "His little stunts would be publicly for the cause of one thing, a big issue people would rally behind but in reality, it would all be for some deeply personal issue usually against me. Gil ... Gil used to stop him but right now ... she's ... she's here, he's clearly - "

"Dolores, not this again, please. I can assure you Gillian is not back as much as you might want it," McGonagall replied firmly, "You know as well as I that the return of Gillian would be impossible - "

"They were rumours, Minerva, unconfirmed rumours."

"That Fudge himself personally believes. If that's not enough for you then frankly I don't know what is," McGonagall's voice suddenly became slightly softer, "And ... and even if she did, she'd be the same age as you by now. Perhaps it's a distant relative, I believe she had an aunt - "

"I don't know how, but it is her. She knows things, Minerva! Things that only Gil would know, she ... she called me 'Dolly' and it was a sign," Umbridge murmured, "It's got to be her... she came back for me - "

"Dolores, I have a lot of work so unless you're here to discuss the suspension or advice on dealing with the complaint from Mary Jackson, I see no further reason for you to be in my office," Minerva replied coolly, "Dolores, I know she meant a great deal to you but to place such a title on Sas - "