Chapter Forty

It was definitely an odd start to the day for Lexy Masters but then again when wasn't it. As of late, everything had been weird is slightly excluding. The others were all involved in some big plan about Umbridge which had fizzled out when she'd tried to get involved. However, that morning was particularly testing, even compared to the others. Firstly, Aubrey managed to walk into exactly seven corners due to being so wrapped up in her thoughts. Apparently, something big was coming but nobody would tell Lexy what. Just when she'd managed to get Aubrey to class safely, the other half of the couple showed up.

"Oh my God, Fred ... I know you're standing there, watching me. Please come out or I'll get George to hex you."

"How did you see me - the hair, it's the hair..." Fred emerged before casually leaning against the wall, "So ... how have you been? I feel like we don't talk as much as we did last year ... then again, I was in your best friend's body ... so yeah, makes sense come to think of it. Anyway - "

"Oh my God, Fred! Can everyone stop being so cryptic especially this early in the morning! My brain gets tired and it's all your fault!" She replied dramatically.

"Yeah because of all the late nights with George - "

"Fred Weasley, no!" She couldn't help but giggle, "But yeah, that's a factor... What do you want?"

"You're probably wondering why I had to catch you alone. I would have got George to do this but he's useless when it comes to you. I'll tell him to do something and he'll be like 'Oh sorry, Fred, I forgot! I was gonna but then we almost shagged' or - "

"OH MY GOD, TO THE POINT, PLEASE, FRED! Talk to George about this, not me!"

"I'm just saying, nice job on that, very few can make my brother un-smart - "

"If you don't get to the point I'll start digging into your lack of sex life with Aubrey and I can get real personal," She narrowed her eyes, "Girls tell each other everything so I suggest we just move on. What were you hiding behind the wall for?"

 This made Fred cringe, "If only I were a sexy book ... okay! Okay! Last week we spotted Saskia walking down to the Forbidden Forest after Astronomy," Fred said, "I was just wondering if there's a schedule for when she goes so me and Aubs can follow her."

Lexy thought about this for a moment before shrugging, "Come to think of it, she doesn't have one really. She sort of just vanishes when Aubrey does  sometimes or after Astronomy, I think so if you wanted Aubrey to go with you, you're out of luck."

"But she has to - "

"Saskia never goes when she knows Aubrey's around. Anyway, she just sort of ups and leaves sometimes and other times she doesn't. There's no planning about it, you've just got to seize the moment," Lexy shrugged, " I thought you'd moved past this a bit - "

"Things have changed, I need to follow her down as soon as possible," Fred replied ominously, back at it with the damn crypticism again.

She sighed, "So I've heard ... well, not really. Nobody tells me a thing anymore. I guess it's damage control, the less people who know, the less danger. Still, you guys all have your own adventures, it would be nice to have one of my own sometime..."

• • •

The day passed by quickly for Aubrey, meaningless hours until tea that evening. Today, Saskia wasn't in the mood to wander down to the Forbidden Forest so Aubrey walked alone. However, this turned out to be a good as it meant she instantly heard the voices emanating from the Umbridge's office. Usually, the office was silent before Aubrey arrived, at least since the first time, yet they were definitely back today. Trying not to make a sound, she leant in, her ear a mere few millimetres away from the door.