Chapter Twenty Five

Fred and Aubrey seemed to both mutually come to a realisation after the meeting, especially when Aubrey saw how happy he looked even if he'd been positively roasted for the entirety of the experimentation. They'd still be there for each other and do all the couple stuff they wanted to but in terms of mysteries, they were going to have to split. Of course, if she needed backup, he'd be there for her but she didn't want to force her own paranoias and endless theories onto him, especially when he had other things on his mind.

"We can still see each other at the end of the days, check in with how it's going, hon," Aubrey said as they sat on a window sill away in a silent corridor one evening, "I still want to know what you discover because mind swapping would be a game changer. And who knows, maybe they'll intertwine again."

"If it gets too unbearable though, what with me being a third wheel and all, you could make a guest appearance in the Arithmancy classroom..."

She arched an eyebrow, "Is Lexy being sassy? Do you want me to have a word with her?"

Fred shook his head, "Nah, imagine how embarrassing that would be..."

"Not embarrassing at all," She replied sternly, "Well other than them, how's the rest going? Are you having your fun with your investigation?"

"Tonnes," He replied, unsure of whether he was joking or not, "We're actually going to talk to Saskia and see if she has any tips - "

"Saskia? Why?"

"Lexy reckons she's been doing old magic," Fred grinned, "Surely you've noticed."

Aubrey merely shrugged, "I guess I'm just desensitised to it now, my head's been in the clouds lately," She curled up, resting her head on her chin. A small smile flickered across her face as Fred took her hand in his, "I'm sorry, I don't want to bore you I just ... hate this. Being stuck in limbo with a mystery looming over my head. Nearly Headless Nick said there was some big tragedy involving 'Gil' that messed up Umbridge up badly and I should know about it. He seemed shocked that I didn't, it has to be someone close to me. So I write to my parents, just asking them about Umbridge, nothing big and they avoid the question completely ... they must have done something, been involved somehow. Why else would you hide it?"

"It might not be your parents who did something," Fred pointed out hopefully, "Maybe your Grandparents?"

"My Dad's are dead and my Mums haven't left their tiny hamlet in the North since 1970 nor do they speak to her anymore. My Sisters are far too young too, it has to be them," Aubrey replied, "Maybe they were just at school at the time and it's upsetting to talk about but even then, a simple reply would be nice, just to let me know. I sent a follow up too just in case it didn't arrive and they ignored that too. I can't help it, my mind's just going to the worst possibilities..."

"Aubs, I'm sure your parents didn't do anything to this Gil. They seemed nice from the little I know of them ... a little bit odd but nice. They were probably just witnesses to it, do they ever talk about their time at Hogwarts?"

"Not really. All I know is my Dad would find an issue that pissed him off and then disrupt lunches and stuff to fight back. I think my Mum helped him too as a little apprentice - they met when she was in Second and he was in Seventh, then they didn't see each other for years and re-met later on after she'd left ... whilst Jasper was married to Aceline as I told you," Aubrey added ominously, "That's what makes me think they're capable of doing some bad things because they did. And the fact they never talk about their time at school, only the crazy adventures afterwards, just makes it all the more suspicious. They are hiding something."

 Fred reminded her kindly, "Aubs, I'm sure there's a reason and you said your Dad was unhappy. They didn't do that for bad reasons because they're not evil. Maybe try and talk to someone who knows a bit more about their time at school, just to put your mind at ease."