Chapter 5 | The Nest

It was raining and dark despite it being 3pm as Hank pulled the car up and parked it against the roadside. Connor and (Y/n) sat in the car with him. On the opposite side of the road was a small take away with the orange neon words CHICKEN displayed over it. 

It had been only been a few hours since she helped Kara and Alice get away. Hank and Connor had driven to the police station to find (Y/n) looking a bit frazzled, typing away at her desk. She had rushed back as quickly as possible and got changed so as to not get caught out on her lie. Then she had asked James if he could write the report on his own and he responded that he was cool with that. Once they had reported back to Fowler, Hank asked (Y/n) if she wanted to come for a late lunch. She agreed, wanting to spend time with 2 police friends rather than a bunch of police acquaintances. 

So now they were here. Hank got out the car without saying a word, leaving (Y/n) and Connor alone. They watched the Lieutenant cross the road without looking, resulting in him almost getting knocked down by a car. He got out of its way and carried on walking to the take away. From where they were sitting, both androids could see Hank and the man behind the counter greeting each other. (Y/n) knew that they were friends more or less. Connor began to open the car door.

"Where are you going?" (Y/n) asked.

"To speak with Lieutenant Anderson." He replied as if it was obvious.

"Because that wasn't vague at all." The woman said sarcastically, getting out the car as well.

"Good. I was know that some humans like very specific answers but I can tell you are not looking for one." (Y/n) sighed then smiled at Connor's serious reply.

"Come on." She said, beginning to cross the road with Connor. As they got closer, they saw a young, dark skinned man leaning against the counter. They only caught the last part of the conversation.

"That filly's one hell of a chaser. You wanna flutter?"

"Last s**t-hot tip you gave me set me back a week's wages, Pedro." Hank said.

"Come on, this is different," the man persuaded, "it's 100% guaranteed. You can't go wrong."

"Yeah right." Hank scoffed a bit. Looking over at the RK800, (Y/n) said him analysing everything from Pedro to the signs. "Alright, I'm in." Hank eventually said to the man, slapping some cash into his hand.

"Damn straight." Pedro celebrated and began to walk off. He turned around, still walking and pointed at Hank. "Hey, you won't regret this." He reassured before walking away again. Hank turned to his food and Connor went to stand by his side so he noticed him while (Y/n) hung back.

"What is your problem? Don't you ever do as you are told?" Hank said, exasperated. Connor stared at him blankly and said nothing. "Look, you don't have to follow me around like a poodle."

"I'm sorry for my behaviour back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant."

"Oh wow." Hank laughed quietly, shaking his head. "You've even got a brown-nosing apology program. Guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?" That was true. Connor had almost humanistic traits but (Y/n) could easily tell he wasn't a deviant. CyberLife really didn't hold back.

"Here you go." The other man in the Takeaway stand handed Hank his order.

"Ah, thanks Gary, I'm starvin'." Hank said, beginning to walk to one of the outdoor tables that had an umbrella over it.

"Don't leave that thing here." Gary eyed Connor.

"Huh, not a chance. Thing follows me everywhere." As expected, Connor followed Hank to the table and (Y/n) joined them. "See." The older man groaned. The androids leaned their arms on the table and Hank picked up his burger.