Chapter 9 | Afraid to Die

I'm back from the Netherlands! Sorry for making you all wait for so long. I got started on this chapter as soon as I got back. 

Against all logic and reason, (Y/n) had gone back to see Connor and Hank again. She had got lucky at the warehouse, not getting caught. But after Markus had convinced them to come out the shadows, once everything finally came into the light, she wouldn't be able to hide. Perhaps she could stay on the deviant case a little longer if she didn't become a major part in the missions unlike Markus. She just had to remain behind the camera and she could still help some deviants escape her partners and the police. Hank had texted her that he was in the spot he rarely came to for thinking and drinking. A little bench by a large stretch of water near a small road and park with trees scattered around the area. Far across the water was another part of Detroit, the city lights bright in the dark. Snow fell from the dark, night sky, sprinkling little flakes on her clothes and her hair. Everything was silent save for her footsteps as she walked towards the hunched over figure of the man sitting on the back of the bench, his feet on the seat of it. He raised his beer bottle to his lips and took a few gulps. (Y/n) sighed. She supposed that he wouldn't change. It was his nature. In a couple of steps, she was standing to the right of him, looking towards the water ahead. Hank also didn't turn to look at her as he said,

"Connor said you would be gone for days. How come you're already back?"

"It turns out that I'm needed at various times and I'll have to be gone from time to time." She answered vaguely. "How has it been without me?"

"Two more deviants last night." Her eyes shot in his direction. Had her absence caused the death of two androids?

"What..." Her voice wobbled so she coughed and repeated with a steadier voice, "What happened to them?"

"Connor let 'em go. Two Tracis from the Eden Club. They... they  loved each other." He scoffed in disbelief. I don't know what to think of these deviants anymore." He took another swig and (Y/n) tried not to let out the breath she had been holding too loudly.

"Should he be here?" She asked.

"Who?"

"Connor."

"Yeah, he'll be here soon. Any minute now probably. Hey. Did you hear about the raid last night." (Y/n) understood he had no clue but could he give her heart a break? She was stressed enough.

"No. I haven't."

"F***in' thing's all over the news. I'm surprised you don't know. Several android parts were stolen and so was a truck. No one knows who did it." (Y/n) said nothing. "If it was androids," Hank continued, "I've never seen them so coordinated and prepared. This is all so f***ed up." He took another swig. 

They heard faint loud music and (Y/n) turned around to see Connor getting out of a taxi that was at the end of a small road, a little bit behind her and Hank. She smiled at him then turned to look back at the water and the city beyond it. The android approached them and they heard the taxi drive off. Hank glanced at Connor, once he was on the other side of the bench from (Y/n), for second before also facing forward.

"Nice view, huh? I used to come here a lot before..." Hank trailed off. (Y/n) knew when before was. The RK800 looked at her with a question in his eyes but she shook her head slightly and shrugged.

"Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?" Connor asked, wrapping his arms around himself like a human might to keep out the cold. But his voice seemed different from the last time (Y/n) had seen him. He was being tentative, seemingly worried that he might be surpassing his boundaries.

"Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?" Hank questioned with a joking edge to it.

"Why are you so determined to kill yourself?" (Y/n) stilled. Hank was still holding that damn gun to his head? He had still given up. Worry and concern crossed her face and she looked at her human partner.