Chapter 7: Nightmares

Twilight's POV:

   It's happening again. The dreams start off the same every time. My mother smiling at me, promising to stay with me, promising to never leave me alone and that we would explore the whole world together.

   Then all of a sudden I am behind a door, and through a small crack, I see my mother and someone I don't recognize talking. Then I see a sword in my mother's stomach, blood running down her side.

   I run to my mother and start crying. "Mother, you can't leave me. I still need you." I choke out.

   I wake up with a small jolt. Tears blur my vision and I can barely read the time, 2:19."At least they are not as bad as before."

I sigh getting out of bed and put on a pair of slippers mister Alfred gave me the night I got here. It was just two days ago when I came here and met my father for the first time.

   ' Oh, I still never really explored the manor that much, maybe I can do that now since I can't really sleep anyway'.

   And with that, I make my way outside my room and walk down the hall. Everything looks different at night, much scarier. There were many times that I thought I heard someone behind me and that scared the fiddlesticks out of me.

I wandered into a room that had a fireplace that was really pretty but what really caught my attention was an old looking grandfather clock.

   It is so beautiful and I really want to take a closer look, it was like something was calling me to it. As I went to take a closer look someone tapped my shoulder, scaring me half to death.

I let out a squeak and turned around to find mister Damian with a stern expression. As I took in his appearance and relaxed my heart rate, I couldn't help but be confused as to why he wasn't wearing pajamas or why he didn't look like he had just woken up.

   "What are you doing up so early and why are you in here?" Mister Damian asked me in his usual tone that made me nervous.

   I don't want to tell him about my nightmare so I have to lie to him... but what should I say? Oh, I got it."I thought I dropped something in here earlier and came to retrieve it." I said quickly.

He gave me a disbelieving look and tutted " You expect me to believe that you woke up in the middle of the night just to pick up something you dropped in here earlier and instead of waiting until morning you decide to walk halfway through the manor at 3:00 in the morning to find it."

All I could do was nod my head yes and look down at my feet. He then told me to go to bed and just as I was about to leave I realize something.

   " How come you are awake mister Damian?" I asked him.

He froze in place and gave me a blank expression. He then very quickly said it is none of my business and that I should go to bed right now. I believe he is hiding something. It would make sense, he isn't wearing pajamas and he doesn't look sleepy at all.

What could he be doing in the middle of the night, what would anyone be doing in the middle of the night? What is there to do at night?

As I'm walking down the hall I see a room with a little bit of light coming through the semi-cracked door.

   I walk up to it and open the door more which reveals a library! I contain myself remembering that everyone else is probably asleep but I can't stop smiling.

Maybe mister Damian was in here before I saw him. That would explain why he was up and didn't look sleepy.

   I skim each self until I see a book about Gotham City. The book contains everything that happened since the city was created up until just one year ago.