butter milk

❁ ❁ ❁

❁ ❁ ❁

(a few minutes prior)

"You know, Renjun hyung?" Jaemin started as the older had his arms flung around the other's shoulder lazily, sipping on his homemade bottle of butter milk his mom had given him for a good lunch.

"No I don't." Renjun deadpanned. He already knew what sort of nonsense the younger would pull, seeing the scene happen right in the hallway just as he was about to leave the restroom. 'What an idiot.' He thought to himself, patting his hands dry with the cloth of his pants.

"That Jeno guy." Jaemin clicked his tongue, burying the frustration his face gave off into his hands before he let out a strangled scream, slapping his face in an attempt to let off some steam. Unnoticed, Renjun moved two steps away from the steaming boy, slightly fearing of a punch to the gut.

"What about him?" Honestly, Renjun didn't know what Jaemin so the wrong in the eye smile boy. Yes, he may have stole the last lemon juice box but it wasn't like he did it every day of his life right? A few times in a week, Renjun has classes with him. His view on him was fairly high, the only bad thing he saw in him being that he only drinks milk and not exploring the other wonders of the school's vending machine.

"He irritates me."

The two enter the cafe. Their eyes are set on the many empty tables and went towards the one nearest to them. Renjun pulled out his chair and Jaemin slid in the one opposite one, his face on his palm that stood up against the tabletop. The older opened his backpack, taking out a notebook and a slightly dulled pencil. Jaemin rose his eyebrow and Renjun in return glared before opening the notebook midway and putting his hand in front to protect whatever he was doing.

Jaemin sighed before saying, "I'm going to buy something, you want anything?" Renjun's pencil stopped moving and turned his head to look at the menu on the wall behind the counter. The words were tiny and Renjun couldn't make out anything. He gave up, sighing and returning back to his drawing.

"You choose." Jaemin shrugged and left them, going in line and looking at the menu, trying to find a drink or food that would satisfy his best friend's tastes.

(present)

"Renjun lets go." The older looked at Jaemin in confusion, whose eyes were filled with panic and his face was flushed in a bright red. Clearly, he was amused at this sight and that set of a bomb in Jaemin.

"Nah, I'll stay. You can run off with milk boy." Renjun smiled sarcastically, but half of him was holding his hand over his mouth that was basically begging to let out a laugh. His sides hurt trying to restrict it. The wrinkles in his eyes were already showing, lucky him Jaemin was paying too much attention to his dilemma at hand. Jaemin stood awkwardly, seeing Jeno already getting his order, his panic was arising.

"Hyung!" Jaemin whisper-shouted, running over to Renjun's side and acted like he was trying to see what he was doing when in reality he was just trying to hide his face from Jeno, who was now walking back to his table, using his back. Renjun defensively backed away from Jaemin, both of his arms covering his drawing. He was embarrassed by the drawing, since it was of Moomin. Though Jaemin already found out about his obsessions with the character, that didn't stop him from overthinking.

"Yah!! Get away from here already punk!" Renjun was already lifting his notebook up and closed it, his butt stuck on his seat. Jaemin put his hands up in defense, slowly stepping back. "Okay, okay hyung I'll go—" As he stepped away, one foot going behind the other, his back went against a person and he felt the unsteadiness in him, as he almost screeched, almost toppling over before the said person.

Before his back could collide with the hard floor, two arms held out his back, both of their eyes connecting. If he were to let go, Jaemin would fall on his back, potentially hurting it again, but that wasn't the case. He was still shocked and turned deep red when he said,

"Are you okay?" Jaemin stood up, leaving Donghyuck's arms. Jaemin bowed multiple times, both his back and ego bent 90 degrees, quietly muttering several apologies but none were able to make it to the confused boy's ears.

"Ye..yes. Thank you." The young boy stammered to answer Donghyuck's question, immediately rushing out of the cafe in panic. His hand pushed open the door, cold from the air of the air conditioner, and walked out, his feet on fire. Donghyuck looked at him, questioning what made him like that and went towards his seat where Jisung and Chenle looked at him in surprise, holding back an applause at his noble actions.

Though they were many tables away, Jeno witnessed everything as he finally arrived at his table with Mark and noticed his brother clenching his fist and repeatedly breathing out deep sighs, his eyes frantically looking over at Donghyuck's table and his own. Jeno sat down, sliding over Mark's order of milkshake towards him. While Mark was still in his tiny jealousy breakdown phase, Jeno thought over the situation again, not knowing what was this feeling that tugged at his chest every time he saw Jaemin looking up at one of his classmates, but his ignored it, not wanting any more trouble in his life.

"Hyung, you okay?" It was only then when Jeno realized how hilarious this situation was. He bit his lip down so hard the pain numbed all over but he didn't care, if he just let out a chuckle his hyung would hit him square in the head.

"No. Not really." Mark answered, his toes curling inside his school shoes as he tried so hard to not imagine him in Jaemin's place instead. Jeno buried his head into his arms finally letting out a big laugh he was trying so hard to keep down only resulting into Mark hitting him in the head, muttering, "This kid.."

❁ ❁ ❁

this is too long oops