took you long enough

spoiler: markhyuck

❁ ❁ ❁

If you told them that they looked crazy, they wouldn't be surprised. They were just two boys, cutting through the night skies of the neighborhood hand in hand. But to them, maybe it wasn't that crazy.

The air slapped their faces as they kept running until there was no more left to run. Donghyuck panted, crouching over his knees as he looked at Mark, a goofy grin on his lips as he wiped them with the back of his hand. Mark himself was about to collapse, not used to the amount of running they'd done; after all, he was just an English nerd.

"That was," Mark wanted to fall over as he tried to catch his breath. "that was fun right?"

Donghyuck laughed, a hearty giggle vibrating in his vocal chords. He swept his hair upwards, the rest of his face that was covered by his bangs finally visible. He looked at Mark with a cute twinkle in his eyes before nodding, nothing on his face saying otherwise. Mark wanted to melt.

"How far did we run?" Mark looked over the streets, specked with only so few people as the road kept going on and on and on. There was no sign of the semi-large school they had been in nor the shop they had just ran from.

"I think we just ran to the next neighborhood..?" Mark said, but the light heighten in his voice imposing it as a question. But that was no lie, Mark was confused as hell too.

"God, I don't know where we are." Donghyuck groaned, looking around the neighborhood before concluded they were lost. He had to be home by 9 and it was dangerously getting close to that time; he definitely did not want to be scolded by his strict mother. Mark on the other hand was as worried as him, but the reason was instead Jeno. Yeah, he could walk home by himself. But Mark had always been with him walking home. What if he gets caught? Drugged? Slaughtered? That thought lingered in his mind.

Donghyuck sighed before feeling a hand over he felt a soft pat on his shoulders. He looked up towards the owner before seeing Mark have a light smile on his face. Raising his hand up, Mark looks at Donghyuck expectantly. Donghyuck laughed a little, but that didn't stop Mark from being cheesy.

"Com' on Hyuck." Donghyuck hummed, bringing a hand on his chin, before giving up and grabbing Mark's hand, a tingly feeling erupting when their skin came in contact.

Walking forward, Mark looked ahead of them and tried to get a grasp of their location while Donghyuck was blushing a deep red as he looked at his and Mark's intertwined hands. It was silent for the most part, their soft footsteps the only thing being heard apart from the resident's in the area, until Mark said,

"Hyuck?" The said boy looked up at Mark, surprised at the sudden sound.

"Yeah?"

"I, uh.." Mark bit his lip, looking forward. His ears were burning, his mind running. He couldn't think. Maybe that was because of how warm Donghyuck's hand was in contrast to the cold air, or maybe it was just his one braincell. But instead of rambling, he decided on one word.

"Thanks."

"For what?" Donghyuck asked, looking ahead of them to see a familiar road. His eyes widened before he almost squealed in joy. "We're here! Mark!" Running ahead of Mark, the older boy was dragged as Donghyuck ran, their hands keeping them connected. But Mark was't paying attention to the familiar road. There was something far more beautiful than that.

Just as Donghyuck was coming to a halt, Mark looked over at the other side of the road. The lit up room on the second floor was contrasting against the one beside it, completely dim. Turning his head, he looks at the house in front of him.

"Are we neighbors?" Donghyuck looked at Mark in confusion.

"Why, is that your house?" Donghyuck pointed towards the house behind them.

"Yeah."

"Well I guess we are now."

❁ ❁ ❁

sorry for the shit chap. it was
good at first but the end was
half-assed. sorry :(.