The Viper's Nest

CHAPTER 1-

When I was finally released from the hospital, I delved into the comforts of my own home. Automatically, I ran to take a shower and feel the familiar water droplets trickle across my new smooth skin. Here, near a safe haven, I could breathe. I stepped out, the mist rolling out from between my shoulder blades like angel wings.

As I lay awake in bed that night I heard a sound. It was the sound of an old house creaking as if it were shifting its weight onto the other foot, its bones groaning in protest. This was the sound that comforts you when you're sad, that soothes you when you're hurt, and I fell into it, allowing it to rock me slowly.

I awoke the next morning through different eyes. I saw everything in high definition as if I were watching a new TV. Specs of dust slowly drifted to my floor, there was a tiny bug in a crack near the door, and I swear I could probably see the imperfections on a vampire's face. When I brushed my teeth, I could see each individual droplet falling nearly in slow motion to its destination.

Even after all that had happened, I was glad to be back in the Batmobile where the seats warmly hugged me. I flicked on the radio to a Pop station and started to drive. I got on the highway and just kept going, not really knowing why, but feeling trapped in my own skin. I wanted freedom, I wanted to shed this skin and follow a new path. Without realizing it, I had turned off at an exit. Following a dark road, I recognized that night had fallen and I was in a strange area, but something, some invisible force, wouldn't allow me to turn back and go home.

The Batmobile led me to a large forest with trembling branches and glowing, fierce eyes hiding within. I got out of my car and walked straight into it. Unable to stop myself, I walked deeper and deeper into the forest until I found a large area lit with plain lanterns strung up by a rope all around a small clearing. I recognized it as a nest, but something that didn't resemble a bird lived here.

Welcome. It was whispered in my mind. It didn't sound like one of my thoughts so where could it have come from? Suddenly a short little girl stepped out of the darkness, eyes glowing lime green. Her black hair cascaded nearly to her feet and her lips were pushed into a gentle pout. Her youth was clear in her face, but the innocence was drained from her dazzling eyes.

"I am Lizzy." she hissed.

That's when I saw her fangs, so like mine, alabaster white against her coral pink gums.

"You were bitten by our ancestors, Remi and Thai, correct? That's why you are here?" she hissed.

Unconsciously, I nodded, then winced in pain as she slapped my arm with such amazing force.

"Don't you talk?" she said, pouting angrily.

"Yes, I do," I replied still stunned by this little girl until a man walked up behind her.

"Hi," he said, his voice saturated with charm and husky with masculinity.

"Hhhi," I replied, checking out this gorgeous guy.

His black hair was tied back in a messy ponytail and wisps of hair cradled his face like a woman's hands. His smile was intoxicating with its bleach white look and his pink lips encased them softly, allowing his fangs to just scrape their surface. That black shirt of his, so taut against his muscular chest looked as if it were about to rip and his muscled chest would burst from it. It was nearly ten minutes later when I noticed that I was staring. Embarrassed I blushed and scratched the back of my neck.

"My name is Rithicke," he grinned, his booming voice make my heart skip a beat.

"I'm Artemis," I answered, completely forgetting about Viktor.

"I'm bored," Lizzy hissed venomously.

"Haha, well let's go inside," he laughed. Then with a twinkle of mischief in his dark eyes, he said, "and see just how much this beautiful girl can handle."