Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2-

The hardest thing to do is to speak the ancient language. It's called Hemlock, filled with twisting words, grunts, and sometimes wordless gestures. For instance, a greeting would be a person licking their left fang, but when you lick the right fang it is a harsh insult. A lot of the language is wordless and confusing to learn. Also, I admit I was distracted by Rithicke who had long since taken his shirt off and was 100 pounds of muscular heaven. I had only learned three things in all the hours we had been working which was the greeting, the insult, and the sign that means "I love you" (you stick your pinky in your mouth then point it to the person.)

Suddenly Lizzy jumped up in surprise, dusting her clothes off and standing erect. Rithicke did the same, hurriedly pulling his shirt back on. Being a non-conformist, I had stayed on the ground until I started feeling them. There were tiny shocks, but slightly painful running through the floor. So I snapped up, sick of them, and simultaneously a woman around my age entered along with an older man. The older man had a crown and king attire while the woman had on something close to a fairytale princess dress and hat. Rithicke's face had disgust written on it for the woman who nonchalantly licked her right fang in perfect insult.

"We have come for Remi and Thai's daughter," the man stated, his words coming out with enough power to make my knees nearly buckle.

I'm not sure how I knew he was talking about me, but I did. It was like I had known for all of my life.

"You can't have her," Lizzy stated stubbornly, her eyes hard, arms crossed over chest.

"You will give her to me," the man hissed.

"Surely I will not, my king," she replied challengingly back.

"Perhaps you should, Lizzy," Rithicke whispered worriedly.

Well thanks for sticking up for me, Rithicke, I thought.

"I won't!" she said loudly.

When her voice finished ringing throughout the room, the man threw a ball of blue fire at her, knocking her to the ground. He prepared to throw another when I stepped in front of her.

"I'll go with you," I said, "just don't touch either of my friends."

I think that was the most defining moment for Lizzy and me, considering each other as friends. I helped her up then gave her a warm hug, whispering "thank you" in her ear. I was going to give Rithicke a handshake but he pulled me into a tight bear hug whispering that he was going to get me back. Kissing his cheek was like kissing electricity and it jolted through my body, clinging close to my heart. Tears in my eyes, I turned to the man who gestured towards his female companion. She spat on the ground in front of me, her face contorted with disgust for me.

"This woman next to me, my dear, is your older sister."