The Viper's Nest Chapter 8

Chapter 8-

The moonlight entered through the crack in the curtains hiding those French doors. I turned over in my sleep, trying to resist the urge to get out of bed and explore the castle. There was a strange ticking outside each night and I swear it prevented me from sleeping, but just as I was about to drift off again, I was clenched into a strange dreamlike realm.

In this realm, the clouds fluttered in the wind underfoot and patches of grass passed by in a grassy green sky. The air felt clean and moist as if there were some kind of forest with running water hidden inside but there was none just flat rolling plains and to figures staring at me.

"Rithicke! Lizzy! What are you doing here?!" I shouted at them.

"Rithicke tried to envelope you in a dream, but he keeps getting the background all messed up," Lizzy sighed.

"Hey, give me kudos for trying, eh?" Rithicke shrugged.

"I've missed you guys so much," I said hugging both of them, "even though I've only known you both for about an hour."

"Hey don't sweat it, we're friends right?" Rithicke grinned.

"Of course," I answered.

"Anyways, how's old man Vrant treatin' ya?" Lizzy smirked.

"Like a cockroach," I muttered. "At least I got to meat the people who changed me, they're quite nice actually."

Then I thought about when Drake had slapped me and I saw the memory materialize for all of us to see. I watched as Lizzy's quiet shock and Rithicke's silent fury, lashed out at the memory causing it to disappear.

"I can't believe he hit you," Rithicke said through clenched teeth.

"It was nothing," I replied, feeling myself getting defensive. "I was being disrespectful."

"That doesn't give him the right to hit you!" Lizzy howled in disbelief.

I bowed my head in shame, trying to hide my blush. When did I begin to think that the slap Drake hit me with was nothing? Was he brainwashing me? Before we could say anything else we were broken apart and I was sent spiraling into a black dream where I lived on the edge of nothingness. In was relaxing and I fell into a deep slumber, waking up in mid-afternoon when Dexter came with my lunch plate, banging on the door.

Dexter brought me steak and mashed potatoes with gravy sprinkled on top and corn on the side. Afterwards chocolate cake awaited me along with Drake. Drake sat with a coffee cup in his hand staring into the flickering flames of the fireplace.

I curtsied and coldly barked, "Your Highness," before I scurried to a chair as far away from him as possible.

"Your 'friends' have been breaking into your subconscious and meeting you in your dreams. If it doesn't stop they will never see the light of day again. Do you understand?" Drake hissed in a bitingly cold voice.

"I understand, Your Highness," I replied in an equally cold voice.

When Dexter left the room, I could see Drake relax a bit. He put down his cup and gazed at me softly. "Why did you choose to sit so far from me?" he whispered.

"Because I do not want to give a wrong impression, King Vrant. I do not want to interfere with your relationship with Claire," I spat, causing Drake to shudder.

"Please call me Drake," he whispered.

"Again, I cannot, it is too informal, King Vrant," I could see the anger in his eyes growing.

"Artemis," he warned, but I was far too angry and my pride was far too hurt to stop.

"King Vrant, I must leave your presence, this scene is too intimate for the two of us to be in alone, good day to you sir,"

"Don't you move," he commanded, voice ringing in my ears.

"Watch me," I said then bounded out the door, adrenaline pumping through my veins.

"You just watch me..."