Chapter 3

Chapter 3-

I didn't have much time to gape in awe at the haughty, discourteous woman in front of me. She had bleach blonde hair, falling to her shoulders in a slightly disheveled style. Her eyes were round like almonds and the color of the most iridescent shade of jade; she seemed just as startled as I did. Before I could say something though, the man breathed into my face and I succumbed to darkness.

When I awoke, I was on a divan, my hands folded as if I died. The floor was black and white marble, cold to the touch, and unforgiving to my bared feet. The ceiling, at least ten stories high, had a beautiful but haunting picture painted on it. It was a painting of large ruby eyes with an emerald snake in one and a hoary serpent in the other. Each was curled into a swirl causing a dizzying effect. The walls were a gorgeous shade of rouge, darkening the room in their glorious hue. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, sparkling in their own light. There were two things that really stuck out to me, first: the room was incredibly cold, second: the room was inhumanly clean.

"Are you enjoying the room, Miss Remshaw?" a man asked.

Startled, I spun around to face him. "Call me Artemis, please, and yes the room is very lovely."

In a second he was gone passing through some door I couldn't see. Next thing I noticed, there was no exit. So I was being kept here against my will under lock and key, bound to a room as icy as the serpentine owners. Eventually food was sent, again through a door I could not see. I was served lavishly, given that I was being held hostage. I was given clam chowder with a bread stick, a tall glass of strawberry lemonade, and some pineapple chunks. When I ate my fill, I unwilling fell asleep, allowing my mind to wander into a restless dream. The door opens and all I see is darkness behind it. It is something like a portal transporting in the man with kingly attire. There is something different about him though, it is not the harsh smile he has nor the way he nearly floats on the icy marble. It is eyes completely red in color, mouth salivating with bloodlust. He brings his lips to my neck, then his fangs slide in, sending a jolt through my body.

I am awake, now. I rub my neck which is sore from the awkward position I slept in, neck bare and exposed. Snakes don't suck blood, right? They're not vampires. Still there was a warning feeling in my gut telling me to run, but where to? I was locked in a room in an unfamiliar place, I wouldn't get very far. Now I understood Jonathan Harker's fear when he was trapped in Dracula's castle. (Yes I am a Dracula junkie.) Then the door opened, but it was the girl from earlier, my...sister.

"Oh so you're awake, sleeping beauty?" she hissed in the most sarcastic voice she could manage.

"Yes, I am, Ms. Priss," I replied haughtily.

"My name is Kelly, so get it right," she shot back, eyes challenging.

"Is there something that you wanted?" I sighed, rubbing my face with my hand.

"Yeah, your father's here with my mother. We're only step-sisters so don't even think about getting buddy buddy with me," she spat.

"Don't worry, it hadn't even crossed my mind," I hissed back, literally spitting on her.

Something flashed over her face. Sadness? Pain? But as soon as it came, it was gone so finally she led me out of the invisible door, down the hallway to a room larger than the first. In it was a black grand piano, polished and shining. The floor was grey stone, the ceiling an intimidating black. There was a sofa here, embellished in gold with black and red pillows sitting near the armrests.

"Ahh, there's my daughter, I am sorry my bite was so harsh, I, well I couldn't help myself." Remi said, his hair falling around his shoulders, nearly longer than mine.

"Remi, she is so beautiful," whispered a woman I could only guess was Thai.

Thai had sparkling jade eyes with a raven-black bob. Her smile was dazzling like the cold, unforgiving marble floors. She had high cheek bones and olive-colored skin. The only way you could see her age was through her fangs which were long and aged, but still a brilliant white.

"Thank you, King Vrant," Remi smiled, his golden-brown hair wafting in some invisible wind.

"Ahh, Remi, you know what I asked in repayment, so why indeed are you thanking me?" the king smiled back.

"He wants you to stay here in his servitude for two years," Thai said turning to face me, eyes smoldering in careful distress.

"Well isn't that just great? I get to spend to years with a snake king who hates me and wants to kill my friends. Thanks Dad you're off to a great start," I hissed sarcastically.

Suddenly King Vrant slapped me, his hand burning hot against my cheek. I was flung nearly across the room, landing several feet away from the group. My mother, Thai, had a look of pure astonishment aimed for her king and my father, Remi, had his fists clenched in anger, he too, glaring at his king.

"You will not insult me that way," he said simply, fixing his silver ponytail.

"Maybe if I had a better room with an actual window or door, I wouldn't be so bitter," I muttered.

"Dexter, show her to her new room." he replied.

The servant from earlier appeared and led me to a room that left my mouth open to catch flies. It was spectacular. The bed was huge, black in color with a dark red sheet set on it. The lamp was a snake, the eyes glowing lime green. Over the bed was a canopy, beautiful and delicately designed with intricate serpentine patterns. There was a plasma screen TV, a refrigerator, and French doors leading out onto a balcony. When I walked on the balcony I felt like Juliet because it was such a romantic setting with the vines twirling down the side of the building and the moonlight kissing the ashen railing to the balcony. Looking down with a relieved sigh, I saw The Batmobile, cozy in its moonlit surrounding. I couldn't argue against this room.

"So you like it?"

Startled, again, I twirled around fast. "Yes, King Vrant,"

"Call me Drake, we're going to be here together for a long time."

"Tell me Drake, why are you so detached all the time?"

Immediately his eyes fogged up them became hard with lifeless detachment.

"Do not ask me questions," and with that he turned and left.

That night all I could think about was the shine of his silver hair, the glistening of his eyes in the moonlight, the way his pink lips formed a perfect contrast against his pallid skin. Then I thought about his fangs, dangerously sharp and his anger, how it whipped out like a viper. I wondered what had happened to make him so detached and you could bet I was going to find out.