The Viper's Nest Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Every where I could see there was dust and old abandoned houses with cardboard covering the windows. Part of me expected some ghost to come floating out of one of the rotted buildings. Our guide, a bone-thin man who seemed to be about seven feet tall, nimbly glided in front of us, leading us to the entrance of a massive cave opening, encased in glittering red rock. There was a light sound of a flute playing some forgotten tune, and the low murmur of a crowd. When we walked inside, the first thing I saw was the queen. She sat on a throne so dazzling, that my knees began to buckle. It was beautifully wrought in strong gold and engraved with ancient Hemlock symbols. The seating of the chair was a crimson, soft fabric, embracing her in its arms. Immediately I curtsied low, remembering from movies the sign of great respect. When I stole a look at her, I saw she was smiling gently at me then she turned to snarl at the girl on Drake's arm.

"Drake, who is this underdressed harlot you bring into my presence?" she hissed.

"Oh, my queen, why must you insult my fiancée so?" he sighed heavily, almost comically.

"Why must you bring such trash into my line of sight?" she answered. "Why is she not your suitor, she seems well dressed and respectable." She pointed at me with a large diamond kissing her forefinger.

"My name is Artemis Remshaw, Madame, and I am the daughter of Remi and Thai," I told her politely.

"How extraordinary!" she gasped, her face paling. "Remi's first daughter, Diane, is so trashy, but this daughter is so well refined! How extraordinary!"

"Excuse me, but isn't her name Kelly?" I asked confused.

"Oh, is that what she calls herself now? Her name is Diane, she was named after Remi's terrible mother; she was just as trashy."

At this I chuckled, glad that the queen was on my side. She gestured for me to come closer, pointing to an empty chair next to her.

"My name is Queen Arabella, and I am the queen of the northeast," she said calmly, steadily. "I'm also a socialite or a social butterfly which ever you wish to believe."

"My name is Ariel and I am Our Ladyship's nurse,"

"My name is Henry and I am Our Ladyship's farmhand,"

This went around the room until it got to Drake and his date.

"My name is Drake Vrant and I am the king of the northwest front,"

"Hi, I'm Clair and, I'm totally Drake's suitor,"

The queen shook her head in irritation, then stood as the doors to the left us opened and the music swelled up in a grand serenade. The queen's mother walked in, her gray hair tied in a high bun, and her wrinkles covered in makeup.

"My name is Andalusia and I am Our Ladyship's mother,"

We all either curtsied or bowed in respect for the ancient woman walking towards us. When she sat, we all sat, waiting for her to speak again.

"Today, I will tell the story of our ancestors Remi and Thai in honor of our guest,"

At this I blushed, but waited patiently for her story to begin. Someone dimmed the lights, at set the floor in smoke as Andalusia built up the suspense.