The Viper's Nest- Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I cried all night, just thinking of what Drake had to go through. I could imagine his hurt and his pain and it made me realize for the first time that I would never see my family again. I thought about Rithicke and Lizzy, I even thought about Kelly. How would I fare with no one on my side?

Just as I thought this, Dexter walked in with his coattails waving behind him in some invisible wind. He smoothed out a dress beside me kissing me on the cheek and giving me a present with a twinkle in his eye. I smiled at my new friend who smiled back as he turned to leave. When he was gone I slept on the dress and opened the gift. I was ecstatic to find that it was make-up and smell-good things. So I dolled myself up then looked in the grand mirror near my bed. It was carved with tiny wood nymphs each having a face of silken innocence. As I looked in the mirror, I saw myself cracked open, bleeding, as if I had unzipped my skin. I turned away quickly then went to the balcony to be soothed.

Soon I felt an arm around my waist as warm as the summer sun. When I turned I was staring into blood-red eyes, soft and warm like the sheets on my bed. His breath was like mint leaves, cool against my hot face, but he quickly pulled away and stepped back.

"It's time to go," he said monotonously, draining himself of all emotion.

I hated when he did that, but I knew why. So, I just nodded, forcing myself not to argue or bombard him with endless questions and followed him out of the room. When we walked outside, it was golden, beautiful and a Hummer limousine awaited us with bated breath. My heart fluttered in my chest as I watched Drake, in all his gorgeousness, glide to the door to open it for me. But, to my disappointment, there was already a female in there, sipping on bubbly champagne and dressed like a two dollar harlot. Her hair was this massive fur ball of gold and she had a split in her dress so large I could hear the catcalls coming. She had globs of make-up and long manicured nails to match her manicured toes that she squished in stilettos.

"Hey, gorgeous," she called to Drake who smiled haughtily in return.

I almost barfed at her fake, whiny, preppy voice. I glared in silence into my own cup of sparkling champagne and sat as far away from them as possible. Already I could feel the unfamiliar, misplaced jealousy rising in my breast and it made me grow even angrier so we rode in silence to our destination of what seemed like an abandoned ghost town.