The Viper's Nest- Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Many centuries before, there were the ancestors. These were the people who first began the generations of our people. They were promised land, wealth, longevity, if they would host the Ultimate's spirit in them. The humans had wanted to destroy the Ultimate, but the serpent's refused for that to happen, so when the ancestors, a group of respectable humans, agreed to help these serpents, power was whipped into them. A snake slithered down each of their throats, giving them their scales, eyes, and a piece of the spirit of the Ultimate.

"Many people say that the ancestors can still feel the serpent twisting in their bellies. It wasn't hard to believe for Joshua. Joshua became obsessed with having a child, and soon he fathered five. Remi, Jaki, Oran, Lily and Wilhimina were born from Gressa's womb. Gressa, a king cobra, was immediately put into command with Joshua as her king, who was also a cobra. They have set the standard of family life for us all.

"Bardie, the queen viper from the north (no one knows how she came about) mated with Horatio, a blood python from the west and they too had five children. Thai, Becca, Hannabelle, Yolani, and Nolan were born from Bardie's womb. These children were predetermined to marry one another, but they let them choose. As they grew older, they saw that Remi and Thai seemed fit more than the others to rule the kingdom, but each time they tried to pair them, they refused. Nolan was the first to marry; he took Lily as his wife, so it was only fair that he was also the first to reign. We loved our king so, that we called him Good Nolan and his wife Lily of the Valley.

"When Nolan died, his wife followed close behind, her grief proving too much to withstand. Next in line were Yolani and Oran, who had married soon after Nolan and Lily did. They had problems from the beginning. They would constantly fuss and fight and one day Oran shot himself in the head. But, because of the suspicion the people hung over Yolani's head, they forced her to resign as queen. Still, Remi and Thai refused to marry each other, each choosing to date commoners. Jaki married Becca in a rush to the throne; he was very unlucky though, for he only served two months as king before he was assassinated.

"Becca was a stern queen, executing anyone who dared to oppose her. In her reign there were three massacres of our people. When it was made public that she was behind the massacres, she hung herself.

"For Wilhimina, there was no choice but to find a mate from a different family since she found that Bardie's last child was also a girl. Wilhimina, who was too young for her own good, went on a trip to France, married a man there, and never came back, it's said that the man she married was abusive, and it is believed that they are dead. Thai was very close to her baby sister and very protective of her, so when she heard that she was gone, she mourned heavily. Remi stood by her side, with shoulders drawn stiff and soft hands to caress her sorrows.

"Soon after Wilhimina's disappearance, they began to rule the kingdom and we have been under their ruling ever since. You, child, are their most recent daughter?"

"Yes, ma'am," I replied, respectfully.

"Vrant, why don't you marry this one instead of playing these adulterous games with her sister?" the queen smiled naughtily.

"What?! What games?" I hissed.

"Nothing," Drake replied. "It was a nice visit my queen, but we must be on our way; there is much work to be done in the kingdom."

"Ah, yes, yes, do stop by more often dear," she grinned.

"We will," we all replied simultaneously, then Drake hurried us to the door.

When we were safely inside of the limousine, I glared at him in a crimson rage. Clair sat with her hand on his knee, talking seductively into his face, invading his space. I could feel the jealousy coming again, threatening to choke me. Hissing I turned away from the raunchy couple and sat in silence the entire ride back.