10 Help Is on the Way

The news of the Zhongs' pact with the heretic practitioner spread like a wildfire in their village and the surrounding ones. Mister Zhong didn't believe his ears when he heard it for the first time. The rumors had assumed every possible shape by now: In some of them, it was even said that Zhong Jing Yi wasn't the child of Mister Zhong but that the beautiful demonic practitioner was the father instead.

At least that version wasn't acknowledged by most people since Madam Zhong had grown up in the village and always behaved decently. Furthermore, only Miss Lian had seen the demonic practitioner and who knew how reliable the words a young, unmarried woman said about a stranger were? Maybe her description of the practitioner was more wishful thinking than genuine truth.

But even though that particular version was only short-lived Mister Zhong threw a fit because of the stories. With each passing day, the villagers looked at his wife more strangely and whispered more often and louder about his son. But when he said that those stories weren't true the people only responded that he was afraid and thus didn't dare to speak about it.

Some even claimed the demonic practitioner had forbidden the Zhongs from ever uttering the truth. And if they didn't comply, they'd be struck by lightning and find a cruel end. So, naturally, the Zhongs couldn't speak about it.

Qiu Ling listened with worry as those rumors spread. Up until now, nobody had tried to hurt Jing He's mortal body so he held back. Anyway, these people would soon forget about the alleged demonic practitioner.

However, he had no idea how little happened in the countryside that could divert people's attention. In the previous months, the villagers had over and over again told the story of how the daughter of the Hous had plunged into a mud hole near the edge of the forest and got stuck until two grown men had rescued her with combined efforts.

There wasn't much truth to that story either. In fact, it was a simple one: A boy, namely the son of the Pans, had pushed the girl that then only slipped on the muddy ground. She hadn't gotten stuck in a hole at all. Instead, a second boy, the son of the Ouyangs who was known as the most reasonable of their age group had helped her up and brought her back to the village. The men had only heard of it later. — From Madam Pan who had told the story to Mister Pi first of all.

Qiu Ling couldn't even imagine how far the truth could bend at a place like the village of the Zhongs and thus he only looked on while the story about Zhong Jing Yi's birth changed more and more.

Finally, the rumors reached the ears of Madam Qiguan from one of the surrounding villages. Her youngest son had joined a deity sect and had — at least in the eyes of the normal villagers — become a Daoist immortal. With her eyes shining with joy, Madam Qiguan waddled to the paddy where Mister Pi worked.

"Mister Pi, Mister Pi!" Snuffling, she halted in front of him and motioned for him to follow her to the edge of the paddy.

Only too happily Mister Pi stopped his work and followed her. "Madam Qiguan, what led you here and that so hurriedly?" He had a feeling that it had to be about the child of the Zhongs but he didn't want to assume anything.

"I just heard about the child of the Zhongs!"

"Shhh!" Mister Pi was inwardly happy that he had guessed right but still looked around.

Mister Zhong didn't work far from them on the paddy and his expression darkened now that it was brought up again.

Mister Pi turned away so he wouldn't have to see it and sighed theatrically. "A delicate issue. One can only feel sorry toward the Zhongs. Maybe it would have been better to not have a child than to create one with dark magic."

Madam Qiguan nodded eagerly. "Indeed, indeed. But maybe they can still be helped?" Madam Qiguan shot Mister Pi an insinuating gaze.

"That would be great for the Zhongs ..."

"Yes, indeed." Madam Qiguan folded her hands and lowered her voice with a look at Mister Zhong. "You should know that my son, Cheng Da, was admitted to a deity sect. He is a practitioner now too. A good one, of course," she added with yet another glance at Mister Zhong. Under no circumstances could she allow people to link her son with the heretic practitioner of the Zhongs. "Anyway, I'm sure my son would know of a way to help the Zhongs."

"That would be great." Mister Pi ran his hand over his chin thoughtfully. "But the deity sect is far away, no?"

"Indeed, indeed. Regrettably, that is the case. But if you could help me write a letter ... Isn't Mister Mao going to the city next week? The deity sect isn't far from there. He could take the letter with him and have someone deliver it while he does his business."

Mister Pi raised his brows. That was indeed so! He was one of the few in the vicinity that knew how to write a little. One of the reasons he always acted cultured. So if anyone wrote a letter, it would have to be him. In that case ... If he helped her, could he be present when Qiguan Cheng Da came to examine the child? That would be great!

He smiled brightly and then motioned to the path to the village. "Ah, Madam Qiguan, we shouldn't waste any time. The Zhongs already had to wait that long. The sooner they get good news, the better. Please, after you."

Two weeks later, Mister Mao — who knew nothing of the content of the letter — arrived at the Yun Zou Sect and handed it over to Qiguan Cheng Da who then returned home with him.

Thus one morning, Qiguan Cheng Da stepped into the Zhongs' village with his mother.