43 She Wasn't the Only One

While Mister Zhong had hurried downthe hill to find his wife Jing Yi stopped somewhere in the forest. Heclutched the bracelet Qiu Ling had given him and pressed his eyesshut.

"Grandfather! Grandfather!"He had called out a few times but nothing happened. The man who hadhelped him back in the village didn't appear.

Jing Yi sat down, tearing up. Hesniffled but still continued to call out despite his decreasing hope."Grandfather ..." His voice broke and he dropped thebracelet, curling his hands into fists and rubbing his eyes. Thetears flowed down his cheeks without end. He was cold and afraid and... alone. "Mother, father, grandfather ... Where are you?"

When Qiu Ling sent Mister Zhong awayand followed the mark he had placed on Jing Yi's body after hisbirth that was the first thing he heard. His heart jerked. Why had heneeded so long? Look at this! His beloved was really afraid thistime! Ah, he was sorry! He shouldn't have left him alone. Whateverhappened he should have followed him.

"Aiya, who's going to cry?"Qiu Ling transformed into the old man again and stopped hiding hisfigure. He crouched down in front of Jing Yi and patted his head. "Noneed to be afraid, little boy. The bad man has already been takencare of. Your parents are safe."

Jing Yi dropped his hands and staredat the old man in front of him, the tears still streaming down hischeeks. "Grandfather?"

"Mn." Qiu Ling nodded."I'm here. I'm sorry, it took so long. I went to save yourfather first."

"Grandfather!" Jing Yithrew his small body at him, encircled Qiu Ling's neck and clung tohim. He buried his face in Qiu Ling's hair, just like his fatherhad done when he reunited with his wife.

Qiu Ling sighed and patted his back."There, there. No need to cry anymore. I'm here. I'm withyou. I'll never let you be alone." He closed his eyes andgently held him.

All of this ... shouldn't happen.Being slandered, being attacked, nearly losing his parents ... HisJing He should experience none of that! He should be safe. He hadpromised him he'd always keep him safe. So ... why couldn't JingHe remain in the Nine Heavens? Spending his days in leisure with him... Wouldn't that have been better? Why did he have to go?

Qiu Ling didn't want to wait forhim. He wanted to be with him. Now, right now. The trials that thegods had to undergo in the mortal world were foreign to the dragonsso Qiu Ling couldn't understand why his beloved wouldn't budge onthis matter. He felt rejected, unimportant, unloved. Why couldn'this beloved stay? Couldn't he do it for him? Why did he still wantto go?

He hugged Jing Yi closer but thatonly made more obvious that the person in his arms wasn't the JingHe he knew and loved. This person ... was only a child. A terrifiedchild that should be comforted.

Qiu Ling pushed all other thoughtsaside and stroked his back. "It's alright. Nothing happened.That man is defeated. I sent your father to look for your mother. Heprobably found her already."

"Is ... Is mommy ... alright?"Jing Yi sobbed and grabbed Qiu Ling's neck even tighter.

"Mn. She should be. Didn'tshe run away? How about we go see her? I'll bring you back to yourparents." He patted Jing Yi's hair but the boy shook his head.

"No ..."

"No? You don't want to seethem?" Qiu Ling leaned back but the boy stuck to him like aleech. He could only hold him gently. "Why that?" Helowered his voice, trying to calm him down.

"Mommy wouldn't ... wouldn'tlike me crying."

Qiu Ling closed his eyes. My love,your mother might not like it but what about me? His heart bledseeing him like this. It felt like he couldn't breathe anymore."Then stop crying, mn?" Qiu Ling stroked Jing Yi's hairbut the boy didn't calm down. "How about this? I carry youback slowly. Until we get there you'll certainly have stoppedcrying."

"Mn." Jing Yi nodded.

Qiu Ling rose and lifted him up."Then let's go." He slowly went back to the path.

Jing Yi hugged him, his face stillburied in Qiu Ling's neck. Slowly, his sobs subsided until hisbreathing evened out.

"Thank you, grandfather."

"Mn, it's nothing. I promisedI'd be there whenever you need my help."

"I was really afraid when youdidn't come. I thought I'd be all alone from now on. Mommy sentme away too."

"Your mother was just afraidthat something bad might happen to you if you went with her. She didthat with your best interest in mind."

"Mn. Mommy loves me."

"Mn." She wasn't theonly one.

They both went silent. Only QiuLing's quiet steps could be heard. But soon angry voices reachedthem from up front. Qiu Ling halted and looked at Jing Yi.

"Little boy, wait here for amoment, alright? I'm going to see what is happening there."

"You're coming back, right?"

Qiu Ling nodded. "I'll alwayscome back to you." He patted his head again and put him down.His figure vanished and appeared on the path up the hill again.

The scene in front of him let himgrit his teeth. Had he come too late?