35 Must Be Her Husband's Fault!

Jing Yi told his parents what Qiu Ling had said about the letter's content. The Zhongs discussed and started packing their belongings the same day, intending to head towards the capital the next morning. There wasn't much they had to take with them. Some clothes, the little stash of copper coins they had saved up, and something to eat for the first days on the road. They were done soon so they went outside to bid farewell from the other villagers. Who knew if they would see each other again?

Mister and Madam Zhong looked quite serious which garnered the attention of Mister Pi and Madam Pan at once.

"Mister Zhong, what has happened?" Mister Pi couldn't help but ask.

"My cousin sent a letter from the capital."

"And you need help reading it? Just say the word! I'll tell you immediately what he wrote." He extended his hand but no letter was placed on it. Mister Pi lifted his eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

"Thank you, but no need. We already know what he wrote." Mister Zhong smiled wryly and patted his son's head. He still felt like it would be the hardest for Jing Yi. He was still so young, after all. Would it really be alright to move somewhere else with him?

Madam Zhong saw her husband trailing off and cut in. "They invited us to the capital so we'll be leaving tomorrow morning."

"Leaving?" Madam Pan furrowed her brow. "Then when are you coming back?"

"They want us to help them out with their stall so we might stay there if it goes well."

"Stay there?!" Madam Pan looked at Jing Yi. She still wanted him to marry her niece when he grew up!

Madam Zhong could imagine what Madam Pan was thinking about so she nudged her husband to say something. Mister Zhong tensed. "We'll certainly miss the village and everyone but I can't just leave my cousin hanging, no? It's family, after all."

Madam Pan sighed. If the Zhongs weren't good people, their child wouldn't have turned out that well. So that was to be expected. Why did her children turn out so disobedient? Must be her husband's fault! She should have done it like Madam Zhong and let them tag along with her!

Before the Zhongs had the opportunity to tell the other villagers Madam Pan's downcast expression lured a lot of people over.

"Aiya, Madam Pan! What happened? You look so serious!"

Madam Pan sighed again. "It's the Zhongs. They're going to leave ..."

"Leave?" Madam Shen lifted her brows. "Where to?"

Mister Pi saw that it was his turn to explain this situation to the villagers who were gathering around them. "To the capital. It's like this: Mister Zhong's cousin met with a mishap so he asked his distant relatives for help."

Mister Zhong wanted to speak up but his wife nudged him again. "Don't mind it. We'll be gone by tomorrow. They're going to say whatever they want anyway."

Mister Zhong nodded. Unfortunately, that was true.

The villagers crowded around Mister Pi to find out more.

"Then what are they going to the capital for?" Madam Shen couldn't really believe it. "Wouldn't it be better to just send some money?"

"Send some money!" Madam Fa snorted. "What are you even saying? How would they send money? You can't trust those merchants coming by!"

"What would they even send?" piped Madam Ouyang up. "Do the Zhongs look like rich people to you? They'd probably have to spend all their money before they even reach the capital!"