54 Just Wanted to Have a Look

Mister Zhong sighed contentedly when he and his family settled down in the room. It had been a lucky coincidence that that other guest came today too. That way they had found a place for the night and still saved money. And even so much!

Madam Zhong brought Jing Yi to bed and sat down next to her husband. "How are we going to find your cousin's stall tomorrow? The capital is big, ah."

Mister Zhong sighed. "I'm also worried about that. It's a pity I've never been here before." He took out the letter his cousin had written and stared at the characters. He couldn't read so it was pointless but he didn't know what else to do either.

"Maybe we could ask Jing'er to call that Daoist Master again? He shouldn't be too far away yet so maybe he could read the letter to us?"

Mister Zhong furrowed his brow. "I don't know if that is such a good idea."

"What do you mean?"

Mister Zhong squirmed on his seat. "Well ... Don't you think it'd be better not to have him around?"

Madam Zhong frowned. "Ah Lei, he saved your life! Our lives!"

"I know but ..." Mister Zhong shook his head and sighed. "I just can't understand. He is helping us again and again. First, he saved you and Jing'er, then he diffused those rumors, brought Jing'er back when I lost him in the forest and now he read that letter to Jing'er, saved us from the bandits and even escorted us the whole way to the capital. Why is he doing all this?"

Madam Zhong frowned. It wasn't that she hadn't wondered about that either but ... "We're incredibly lucky to have his protection."

"I know. I'm not saying we're not. But aren't you the least bit afraid?"

Madam Zhong smiled wryly. "Of course I am."

"You see? That's what I mean. I just ... I'm afraid what will happen in the future. Will things really stay the same as they are now?"

His wife nodded. "I don't know but I believe he is a good man. And without him, neither I nor Jing'er would have lived through the night he was born. We owe him our lives and I wouldn't think twice if he asked something of us as repayment."

Her husband took her hand and patted it. "I'm the same. It's just that there's one thing I'm worried about. What if he'll take Jing'er away one day? He is our only child. I ... don't want him to go. And becoming a Daoist ... is it really that great? Look at Qiguan Cheng Da. He couldn't do anything. Is that really better than working in the fields?"

Madam Zhong shook her head. "Certainly not but if Jing'er could follow that Master, he'd certainly learn much more."

"How long ... How long do you think he'd leave him with us?"

Madam Zhong could only shake her head once again. "I don't know. I just hope it's not too soon."

Qiu Ling who had been sitting at Jing Yi's bedside the whole time sighed. "You don't have to be worried about that. I wouldn't take him away if you don't want me to. I could just move in with you. What's so bad about being a live-in son-in-law?"

Seriously, he didn't mind. Madam Zhong was a good wife and mother and she liked him, he was sure about that. And Mister Zhong was a way better father-in-law than that grumpy Heavenly Emperor that always had something to nag.

Mn. He should help his in-laws to dispel their doubts to make sure that no future problems would arise because of such a misunderstanding.

Qiu Ling stood up, straightened his clothes and combed through his hair with his fingers. To make sure he made the best possible impression he even summoned a water mirror.

Mn, handsome, he evaluated himself, put down the water mirror and discarded the spell that hid his figure.

The Zhongs leaped to their feet. Madam Zhong shrieked and grabbed her husbands arm, almost darting behind him.

Qiu Ling's gaze flitted from one person to the other. That ... probably wasn't the best way to appear? He lifted his hand and coughed. "I'm sorry. I was worried you might not be able to adapt to the capital so I swung by to have a look."

"Have ... have a look?" Mister Zhong gulped. This man's way of having a look was ... too terrifying. He clasped a hand over his chest and took a deep breath to calm down.

Madam Zhong dared to step out from behind her husband when she saw that their sudden visitor was none other than the Daoist Master they had talked about just now. "Thank you very much for taking care of us."

Mister Zhong nodded hurriedly.

"Mn." Qiu Ling glanced at Jing Yi. The boy had stirred at Madam Zhong's shriek but after so many weeks of travel he was too tired and didn't wake up. Qiu Ling glanced around as if he wanted to take in the room. "This seems like an inn?"

"That ... yes." Mister Zhong's ears turned red and he fell silent. He really couldn't bring himself to tell the Daoist Master that they had no idea where to find his cousin.

Madam Zhong looked at him with reproach and took the letter he had crumpled when Qiu Ling appeared. "Daoist Master, in fact, we don't even know where they live. We've never been here. Was there something in the letter you could tell us? Otherwise, we'd have to search the capital tomorrow."

"Let me have a look again. I didn't read properly the last time." Qiu Ling extended his hand, not ashamed at all when he said that. He had indeed just skimmed the letter and not cared any further. Well, who could have known this would become important?

Madam Zhong didn't mind either and handed the letter over.

Qiu Ling read it carefully this time. "What your cousin owns isn't a food stall but a restaurant in one of the smaller streets right next to the main road." When he read this Qiu Ling felt like apologizing to his in-laws. They had passed by the said restaurant this evening when they left to search for an inn! Why hadn't he remembered the name?!

Mister and Madam Zhong exchanged a glance. Thankfully, they had asked him to read the letter again or they would have searched for a completely different place and might not have found it at all.

"Thank you, Daoist Master." Mister Zhong nodded before falling into an awkward silence once more.

Qiu Ling just murmured an acknowledgment but didn't say anything else. Of course, he had heard every word the Zhongs said before but it wasn't for him to breach the topic. He could only wait.

Madam Zhong looked at her husband and then at Qiu Ling. She knew her husband wouldn't ask. He would just hope that the Daoist Master would disappear and forget about their Jing Yi. But they both knew that that wouldn't happen. Instead of always waiting and worrying about the future, why not make sure once and for all?

"Daoist Master, I ... would like to ask you a question if I may."