24 Being an Old Man ... Isn't Easy

Back in the mortal realm, Qiu Lingused the fact that his plan had worked and that he had earned JingYi's trust along the way and tried to get a little extra time withhim.

"Oh, right," he said as ifhe really just remembered. "Did you come to the forest allalone? Even if your parents don't know about the mud monsters, it'squite dangerous to let you go out all on your own!"

Jing Yi shook his head but didn'texplain.

Qiu Ling had expected as much. "Thenwhere are your parents now?"

"My mommy is at home in thevillage!"

The poor Mister Zhong who stillwandered through the forest in search for his son ... was completelyignored.

Qiu Ling smiled. "Shall I bringyou home then?"

Jing Yi nodded eagerly. He didn'twant to stay in the forest where the mud monsters and the terribleriver and all those wild, hungry animals were!

Qiu Ling stood up, extended his armsand pulled the boy into his embrace. Mn, how nice. But he'll haveto be even more vigilant from now on. Jing Yi was just too trusting.If he kept being like this, he'd be abducted if nobody paidattention!

Qiu Ling hugged him to his chest andbrought him back to the village. The sun had gone up by now and thefirst people came out of their houses.

One of them was Mister Pi. His firstreaction upon seeing a foreign man with Zhong Jing Yi on his arms wasto rub his eyes. Was that really the boy Madam Zhong didn't let outof her sight for even the blink of an eye? How come he was with atotal stranger?

Mister Pi's eyes lit up. Howinteresting! He made his way over and barred the man's way. "Goodsir, this child ... might I ask where you are heading with him?"

Qiu Ling refrained from rolling hiseyes. Aren't you just asking because you want to hear the gossip?"Ah, might you know this boy? I discovered him in the forest alittle way from here. He told me his mother was still in the villageso I brought him here. Might you know which house he lives in?"

While Qiu Ling was still talkingwith Mister Pi, in the Zhong's house, Madam Zhong woke up. She satup and paused, thunderstruck. She didn't care that her husband hadleft the house. She didn't even notice that the food she hadprepared yesterday went missing. There was only one thought in hermind: My son!

"Jing'er?" She spunaround, looking into every corner but Jing Yi was nowhere to be seen.Hastily, she threw some clothes on and ran out of the house."Jing'er! Jing'er!"

Her neighbor Lian Mei, now MadamShen, stood at the village square with Madam Pan. The two womenturned around and immediately hurried over to see what was going on.

"Madam Zhong!" greetedMadam Pan with sparkling eyes. "Just what has happened? You seem—"

Before she could finish her sentenceMadam Zhong had bypassed them and run through the village all thewhile shouting her son's name. "Jing'er! Jing'er!"

The child in Qiu Ling's arms grewanxious. He struggled, obviously trying to get down and run to hismother. Qiu Ling sighed lightly. It seems I can't even compare to amortal woman ...

He bent down and let him go. Jing Yiran to his mother at once, jumping into her arms and hugging her neckwith his small arms.

Qiu Ling tightened his lips. Wasn'tthe difference in treatment a little too obvious? But he had beennice to Jing Yi! Well, he deceived him but the boy didn't know thatand it really was just for his best! Why was he still only gettingthe bare minimum while this woman was treated so enthusiastically?This was unfair!

"Jing'er." Madam Zhonghugged her son close to her chest and only then looked up at the oldman waiting behind him. Vigilance entered her eyes. "Who areyou? Why was my Jing Yi with you?"

Mister Pi who had followed Qiu Lingperked up his ears. Here it came!

Qiu Ling smiled hissagely-old-man-smile. "You must be his mother. I found this boynot far from here in the forest, hiding in a shrub. I don't knowhow he got there but he seemed to be terrified so I asked him wherehis parents were and brought him home."

Madam Zhong looked at her sonquestioningly. Jing Yi nodded and took another look at Qiu Ling. Theold man had told him such an important secret! He has to help himout.

Madam Zhong turned back to Qiu Ling."I have to thank you. Jing Yi is my only child. I was afraidwhen I found him missing."

"Of course, of course. Don'tworry. He doesn't seem to be injured. You should go and bring himback inside. I'll have to be on my way again too."

Madam Zhong nodded. "Thank you,again. Is there anything I could do to show my appreciation?"

Yes! Qiu Ling thought. Give Jing Heto me! But he still shook his head and smiled. "No need, noneed. I am on a journey through the whole empire right now and wasjust passing by. It's a given to lend a hand in such a situation. Ishall return to the forest now."

He took a glance at Jing Yi for thelast time, turned around and went into the forest. He wentdeliberately slow to adhere to his image of an old man and, well,just in case his beloved wanted to run after him or something.Unfortunately, his beloved turned out to be quite cold-hearted. Therewasn't even the whisper of those little steps.

Qiu Ling felt tears streaming downhis face. Ah, this was too hard! Every step he took was torture! Hewanted to go back to Jing He's side! How far could it be to theforest? Just some more steps ... Then he could at least hide againand return to his beloved's side like that.

A smile broke out on Qiu Ling'slips but just then, a voice interrupted him from behind. "Kindsir, excuse me!" Mister Pi hurried over.

Qiu Ling closed his eyes andmuttered an entirely non-sagely curse. What about returning to JingHe's side?!