Chapter 7

Jughead Jones was sulking, mainly because Cheryl had reopened some of his old wounds.

To this day, it still hurt Jughead deeply that Betty Cooper—the girl he thought he was destined to be with—had eventually chosen Archie Andrews over him.

During the civil war, Betty and Archie both were on the Serpent's side, but when all seemed like a lost cause and Jughead had insisted on trying to win by stealing top secret documents from the Lodges.

The Serpents, at that time, were already worn down by the Ghoulies relentless attacks and the Lodges' seemingly infinite money. All of Riverdale had belonged to Hiram Lodge.

It was then when Betty and Jughead's on and off relationship finally ended when Betty Cooper had told Jughead she couldn't take anymore.

That was the last thing he heard from her before the Coopers moved to California for a fresh start.

Similarly, Archie Andrews must have had enough of fighting a losing war before moving to Chicago with his parents, who did not get a divorce in the end.

Now Jughead was not entirely sure why Archie had broken up with Veronica Lodge, the girl he said he loved, but Jughead was pretty sure their break up had something to do with the revelation of Veronica Lodge as a spy for her parents.

Veronica Lodge had appeared to be on the Serpents' side, helping and coming up with clever tactics to go against her parents.

It was a big shock to everyone when Fangs had found a letter from Hiram in Veronica's room at the White Wyrm. The letter had thanked Veronica for helping them gain important information for them etc.

The letter had turned everyone against Veronica Lodge, including Archie Andrews and Elizabeth Cooper. Only Cheryl and Toni, her loyal best friends believed her when Veronica had repeatedly declared that the letter was a set up.

So as a result, Veronica had resided in the Serpents' prison for three months, while Jughead finally lead the Serpents in victory on the fifth month.

Personally, Jughead did not truly believe that Veronica had been a spy, but it was possible, considering they were family and how Veronica used to stick with her parents during the mayor election period. However, another part of him knew that Veronica hated her parents and the letter was not solid enough proof that she was a spy. But as the Serpent leader, he had to put the Serpents to a vote on what to do with Veronica Lodge, the alleged traitor, and everyone, besides Toni and Cheryl, had voted for her to be imprisoned for her crimes.

And Jughead, guiltily, locked his partner in crime in the small prison of the Serpents.