Chapter 38

It was open mic night and one particular boy was extremely nervous. He rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet, wiping his sweaty palms on his tuxedo.

————————————————————————

"We need to look our absolute best tonight," Cheryl brushed Veronica's silky raven hair. "We can't disappoint the audience. After all, open mic night doesn't come very often."

"Cheryl, I can do my own hair," Veronica sat at Cheryl's vanity table in slight confusement.

Toni applied lip balm to Veronica's lips. She had no make-up on, as Cheryl and Toni had agreed on looking natural tonight. Veronica Lodge stared at herself in the mirror. She looked absolutely stunning in her red dress.

"Red is your color, not mine," Veronica pouted at her reflection. She did not know how to feel about her outfit because she rarely wore red.

"Red is the color of love, it doesn't have to be my color only," Cheryl chirped. "Alright, you're all set! Let's go perform!"

The three of them headed to the White Wyrm. Veronica did not understand why Toni and Cheryl were particularly excited to perform tonight.

As they were about to enter the White Wyrm, Cheryl groaned. "I forgot my choker! I have to go back and get it, it's my lucky choker."

"I'll go with you," Toni took Cheryl's hand. "Veronica, you set the stage first."

She shrugged and opened the door once Cheryl and Toni left. They were acting so weirdly tonight.

————————————————————————

At once, Veronica knew something was wrong the moment she stepped into the bar. It was dark and empty, unlike its usual boisterous crowds. She was just about to climb onto the stage to set the mic stands when a spotlight shone on her.

She was temporarily blinded, and when she could open her eyes, Jughead Jones was standing on stage.

Veronica froze. She was about to bolt until she heard Jughead singing.

"He only told the moon, tonight up on the roof/ He told me that he's scared that all his thoughts they look like you/ I only told the moon, about the way you move/ I asked her to please tell me if you tell this to her too."

Veronica stopped at front of the stage, looking up at Jughead, who jumped off the stage to stand with her. She took a few steps backwards, nervous, but Jughead held her hand.

"We only told the moon/ We only told the moon/ Only told the moon," Jughead finished beautifully, looking into her eyes.

"Veronica, I know that you probably hate me for the fool I am, and that you hate me for being a stuttering idiot instead of the smooth guy you wanted, but there's something I need to tell you."

Veronica Lodge's heart was thumping hard in her chest. She wanted to run, but her feet stayed glued onto the marble floor.

"I like you, Veronica Lodge."

A shy smile was beginning to form on her face.  "Why didn't you tell me sooner, idiot? You know that I still hate you, don't you?"

"I know," Jughead smirked. "And another reason I didn't tell you sooner is because of the bet."

Realisation dawned on Veronica's face. She immediately let go of Jughead's hand and hit his arm. "Only you can ruin a moment like that! Ugh! Go to hell, Torombolo!"

Jughead laughed and pinned her to the wall. "Not before I see you in my clothes, Lodge."

Veronica rolled her eyes. She had forgotten all about the bet they had made three months ago. Veronica had bet Jughead would be in a relationship within three months, while Jughead had bet he would not be in one. Now that the three months was up, Jughead had won the bet and Veronica's punishment was to wear guy clothing only for an entire week.

"I hate...," Veronica tried to say but was interrupted with Jughead's lips on hers.

Jughead grinned as they both parted for air. He pulled a red rose out of his tuxedo pocket. "Veronica Lodge, will you give me the honor of being your boyfriend?"

She bit her lip. "I don't know, Jason might be a better choice..." She couldn't contain her laughter as Jughead scowled and grumpily walked away.

Veronica ran after him in her heels and leapt onto his back.

"Lodge, you're crazy!" Jughead caught her legs as he helped her into the piggyback ride position so that she wouldn't slide off to the ground.

"Yes, I'll be your girlfriend, Jughead Jones," Veronica kissed him lightly on the cheek, then jumped off his back.

Jughead turned and cupped Veronica's face in his hands. "You're so beautiful...and I can't believe you're mine."

Veronica placed her hands on his hips. "And you're mine, Torombolo. I guess the moon did grant my wish."

"What wish?"

"I wished for a person that would save me from my loneliness," she whispered as she gazed into his green eyes. "You're my wish, Jug."

"And you're my everything," he replied softly.

————————————————————————

A/N

Song: Only Told the Moon by Camila Cabello