Chapter 20

"The guys are Ghoulies, and they're dealing drugs with a supplier from Greendale," FP informed Jughead, who had just changed from his 'work attire' to casual clothing after saving Toni. "They buy the drugs from the supplier and then sell it locally on a small scale, but they are the least of the problem. A powerful foreign force has been providing them resources to reunite."

"Who?" Jughead asked in concern.

"They won't say," FP shook his head. "We've tried a lot of things, but they won't say anything when it comes to this question."

"How many of them are there?" Veronica inquired, coming into the room as she dried her wet hair with a towel.

"Not much," FP replied. "But they're gaining. We have six men here, which is half of the current Ghoulies, but their powerful force will still be supporting the other six."

"Jones! We just received this letter!" Toni ran up stairs and burst into the room to hand Jughead a folded note. "It was pinned to the White Wyrm's main door along with a snake's bleeding head. Don't touch the words, it's probably written with snake blood."

Judging from Toni's worried expression, Jughead knew it was something bad. He flipped open the note, holding the corners carefully. It had 'WE HAVE SOMETHING YOU WANT IN EXCHANGE' on it in dark brown block letters. 'MEET ALONE AT THE CAVE NEXT TO THE CABIN IN THE WOODS TMR 7:00 AM. WE'LL BE WAITING.'

"Jughead, Toni," FP said gravely. "We need to talk somewhere else."

————————————————————————

"Are you going?" was Veronica's immediate question when Jughead stepped into the room after an hour long talk with his dad and Toni.

"Yeah," he replied, flopping onto his bed.

"Jughead, no," she sat up, alarmed. "Do you know how dangerous it is? It's most probably a trap!"

"Of course I know, but I am the leader, and I have the responsibility to find out what they're about," he said dully.

"A leader is not required to make brash decisions, Jones," Veronica tried to reason with him.

"It is not brash, Veronica," he defended. "You won't understand, just go to sleep!"

Veronica frowned and did exactly what he said. He was surprised that she would oblige so easily, but little did he know what she would do the next day.

————————————————————————

Jughead woke up at the crack of dawn to get ready for his meeting. He did not know whether he would get out dead or alive, but he had to do this for his Serpents. Being leader had no room for fear, only courage.

Before he left, he stared at the sleeping Veronica for what could be the last time. He hesitated for a minute or two before finally pressing a brief kiss to her temple lightly. This kiss would either be a thank you for everything she's done for him or a goodbye.

Jughead Jones quickly rushed out of the room. He could feel his heart pounding. Doing that had required more courage than saving Toni yesterday.