Chapter 22

Alex's words were simple, hard to read anything into. Anyone observing us would've assumed he was just being a good friend, tagging along to support me. But to me, five simple words meant a lot more. In fact, I might have read too much into them. But the simple offer paired with the concern in his eyes told me a lot about the character of the man standing before me. He could tell something was wrong before I'd told him who Eric was, and he hadn't played the card that so many men typically would in that situation, immediately kicking the woman to the curb because of "too much drama" in her life. No – instead, he wanted to help. He wanted to be there for me. And that was a feeling that felt so foreign to me, I didn't know how to respond.

On one hand, I sincerely appreciated that Alex cared. But on the other, I cringed at the thought of him witnessing a conversation between Eric and me that would likely turn into an argument quickly. I was still in stage one of getting to know Alex. I didn't want him seeing my obnoxious ex. A list of what-if's ran through my mind and I worried that Eric might cause a scene and give Alex reason enough to change his mind about me. He hadn't flinched at the mention of my ex being in the office, but seeing Eric in one of his hissy fits might do the trick.

I shut my eyes tightly in a mix of frustration over the situation and pain from the headache that was currently pounding like a sledgehammer in my temples. Mandy and Nicole were still down the hall screaming at each other, too, and could be heard throughout the entire floor, no doubt. Their background tirade wasn't helping my dilemma.

When I opened my eyes, Alex was still standing in front of me with his hands softly grasping my shoulders, his thumbs rubbing back and forth over the thin material of my knit shirt. It was a soothing feeling and part of me wanted to keep standing there just so he would keep doing that.

"Kate?"

He looked at me with questioning eyes and parted lips. He was trying to read my mind.

"I don't think that's such a good idea," I finally told him and shook my head.

The motion just made my headache worse.

Alex's brows drew into a frown and he sighed and rubbed his forehead. The loss of one of his hands on me left a cold spot on my shoulder and I inadvertently inched closer to him. The heat radiating off of his body was enough to soothe my nerves for a moment.

"I don't need anyone witnessing that spectacle," I tried to explain. "The last time Eric dropped by here, he made a huge scene in the boardroom. He wanted to talk and I was stupid enough to think it would be a civil conversation. We ended up arguing and he threw a chair through the glass wall."

I grimaced at the unwelcome memory. I'd tried so hard to forget that day. He'd come by my office to apologize and try to work things out between us. We'd been fighting a lot lately and he didn't yet know that I'd found out about his nasty little habit of cheating on me with anything that moved. When I'd called him out on it, he'd denied it and become enraged at the accusation. Mandy had to call the police and have him arrested. He'd ended up having to pay to fix the wall.

That was the last time I'd seen him. I'd made sure to leave all his shit on the front porch for him to pick up when he got out of jail so that I wouldn't have to put up with him in my house again. He'd swung by to collect it all while I'd been at work the next day. I'd assumed that was the last time I'd ever see him.

"He threw a chair through the wall?" Alex looked disgusted. "Sounds like he needs some anger management therapy."

I groaned and glanced down from where we stood on the balcony. I could see Eric standing there, waiting impatiently near the receptionist's desk. He was looking around at everyone like he knew he was better. He'd always had a narcissistic streak. Clearly, that hadn't changed.