Chapter 27

Tuesday morning went off like a rifle. I'd completely forgotten about setting my alarm and didn't wake up until it was almost seven. I blinked at the time on the clock and when I realized I was running late, I practically leaped out of bed. Then I realized Alex was still fast asleep.

He looked so peaceful lying there with his face buried in the pillows. It was almost torture to have to wake him up. Besides that, the butterflies in my stomach were putting on a parade over the fact that Alex was still there. It meant a lot to me that he'd stayed, rather than sneaking out and leaving me in the middle of the night. It felt so good to wake up beside someone for a change.

I pulled on a robe and leaned over his shoulder, pressing a sweet kiss to his cheek and rubbing his arm. He barely stirred so I tried again, and again, until he finally opened his eyes.

"Good morning, handsome," I whispered.

Alex groaned and rolled over, stretching and yawning while his eyes adjusted to the sunlight streaming through the open windows.

"Damn," he mumbled in that sexy sleepy voice that men do so well. "I think that's the best sleep I've gotten in years."

I had to agree. I'd slept so fucking good; it was almost unbelievable. Part of me hated that I had to go to work. I would've much rather crawled back into bed and slept the day away in Alex's arms.

"Come here," Alex said huskily, giving me a lazy smirk.

I stepped back over to the side of the bed and he reached out, grabbing my waist and pulling me down on top of him. I propped myself up on his chest with a giggle and he started kissing all over my face, smiling the whole time.

"You're such a bad influence," I grinned, kissing him back and sitting up so that I was straddling him. "I'm going to be late for work, Mr. Stephens."

Alex placed his hands on my thighs, sliding his palms under my robe and up to my hips. His thumbs massaged circles into my skin and he cocked a brow seductively.

"What if I don't want you to go to work?" he challenged, adjusting his lower half beneath me. "What if I want you to stay right here... just like that... on top of me...?"

God, he was tempting! I wanted so badly to just call in sick and flip the bird to my responsibilities, but I remembered that I had that appointment with Maggie from Pet Protectors. I couldn't miss that.

"Mmm... Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to stay here with you all day," I told him. "But unfortunately, I have a meeting at ten with an animal rescue organization for my article."

Alex groaned but nodded, pulling me down for another long, steamy kiss. "Raincheck?"

"You have yourself a deal," I confirmed, grinding my hips against him as I climbed out of bed.

He cursed under his breath and sighed, slowly starting to get up.

"I'll be in the kitchen making coffee and then I'm going to take the world's fastest shower," I said on my way out of the bedroom.

Alex muttered an acknowledgement and I hurried into the kitchen to get the pot started.

When I walked in, the intoxicating aroma of the roses he'd brought me infiltrated my lungs and I breathed in deeply, pausing a moment to enjoy the smell. I looked fondly at the gorgeous pairing of pink and white while I scooped the grounds into the coffee maker.

Alex stumbled his way into the kitchen, still looking half asleep. He brushed his messy hair back and I felt his chest press against my back as he pulled me into his arms, linking them around my waist.