Chapter 28

Per Selena's recommendation, I ended up staying at the office to work on my article while she and Kacey went to look at the house. I hadn't yet mentioned that I was planning on adopting the puppy if Kacey gave the thumbs up on the rental. I knew both girls would go nuts over how precious the dog was.

I was halfway to completion when Selena texted me that Kacey was onboard for the house, and that Angie was going to email me the rental application so I wouldn't have to go to her office. I typed up another paragraph and then started filling out the application.

"Knock, knock," Alex smiled, leaning in my doorway.

I looked up from my computer. "What's up?"

I noticed he hadn't gone home to change. He was still wearing his slacks and blue button-up from last night.

"I just finished my article," he said, coming over to lay two pages on my desk. "I was hoping you'd give me your opinion when you get time."

"Yeah, of course. Let me just finish this up real quick."

Alex glanced at my screen and his brows furrowed. "Is that an application?"

I nodded, adding my electronic signature. "We decided on a rent house today. This is the application and consent form for a credit check and yada, yada."

"Which reminds me... You never did give me an answer on if I could help with your move," he said, taking a seat across from me.

"I'd love that, Alex," I smiled. "I think Selena said Joseph's going to help, too."

"I've got a trailer. I'll just attach it to my truck and we should be able to move everything in that so y'all don't have to rent a U-Haul."

I looked at him like he made the sun rise. "I really, really adore you. You know that?"

He smirked and leaned back in the chair. "Yeah. I think I got that idea last night."

Mandy happened to be walking by down the hall and I put a finger to my lips to Alex. She eyed us like she knew exactly what was going on between us.

Alex snickered after she'd passed. "Think she heard us?"

"I think she's a mind reader. She's all-knowing and seeing and everything," I said matter-of-factly, retrieving my phone from my purse on the floor. "Give me a minute. I've got to make a call."

I emailed the completed application back to Angie and dialed the number for the rescue.

"Pet Protectors. This is Maggie."

"Hey, Maggie!" I smiled, looking at Alex, who was oblivious to what the call was about. "This is Kate Crawford. I wanted to let you know that we did end up deciding on that house, and I was wondering when would be a good time for me to drop by and adopt that sweet little girl?"

Alex's eyes got wide at my words. He probably thought I was talking about an actual child! I tried not to giggle at his expression while Maggie told me she'd put together a box of food, treats, and other items for me. We agreed on four o'clock.

"What was that about?" Alex asked in a slightly high-pitched voice when I set the phone down.

Now I couldn't help giggling. "I visited an animal rescue this morning for my article and this little golden retriever puppy stole my heart. I'm going to adopt her today."

His eyebrows raised and a cheesy smile stretched across his face.

"Now I just have to find a good fencing company to put up a fence around the yard," I continued. "The owner allows dogs, but he expects us to put up the fence with our own money."