Chapter 31

The Four Seasons was crowded with guests from the New York Times, Satisfaction, Vogue, People, and numerous other newspapers and magazines, as well as many journalists from both local and national news stations. Everyone was decked out in dapper suits and glamourous dresses. It felt more like the Academy Awards or a Parisian fashion show than a fancy ballroom dinner.

While the caterers and hotel staff put the finishing touches on the ballroom, everyone was gathered out in the lobby, mingling and drinking champagne and scotch on the rocks. I recognized several writers from rival magazines. Everyone appeared to be having a great time, laughing and drinking and talking about their plans for the new year.

Selena and I had gone home early to my house and helped each other get ready for the event. She'd chosen a sexy silver cocktail dress that shined when the light hit it, while I'd opted for a more conservative ensemble: a long formfitting red dress with a slit up the side and matching red heels. We'd both curled our hair.

Daren and Alex had arrived right on time, shaking hands and chatting a bit in the driveway before walking to the door to meet us. From what I'd gathered, Daren hadn't minded the one-time long drive to pick up Selena, but it was obvious he was looking forward to our move closer to the city.

Daren was a tall, broad-shouldered man with a neat, professional haircut and precisely groomed facial hair. He wore his suit the way Jesse did – like it was tailored for an Armani model.

In the first few minutes of talking with him, I'd learned that he was thirty-two, worked for a life insurance company in the World Trade Center, and had two German shepherds and a Yorkie. He was a complete one-eighty from the men Selena usually dated, which I thought was a good thing. He acted very gentlemanly, had manners, and seemed to really care about Selena. I crossed my fingers that this would last for her. She deserved a good man like Daren.

We took separate vehicles, arriving at The Four Seasons ten minutes apart from each other. Selena had immediately dragged Daren to the bar while Alex and I surveyed the scene, searching for familiar faces.

"This is more crowded than I expected," Alex observed.

"And yet all I can see is you," I said in a cheesy voice, grinning at how divine he looked in his tux.

Alex chuckled and shook his head. "Did you really just say that?"

"I did." I nodded proudly. "You look exceptionally handsome tonight, Mr. Stephens."

His smile shifted to more of a smirk and he pulled me in close where all I could focus on was the shimmer of the dim lights reflecting in his eyes.

"I know I've told you this at least four times already," he said in a soft tone, his eyes boring into mine. "But you're absolutely stunning, Kate. You look amazing tonight."

His words were so sweet, so sincere, my heart practically leaped out of my chest.

I started to respond when everyone's attention was directed to the ballroom. The hotel staff had just opened the four sets of double doors and guests were flooding inside, eager to find their tables. Alex and I waited until the stampede died down to go in search of table 23.

There were ten people at our table, including Mandy and her husband, Steve, Joseph, Daren, and Selena. I didn't recognize the other three. We all exchanged hellos and took our seats, and the first round of champagne went around the table.

"Alex, honey, you look out of place," Mandy chirped from a few seats over. "Loosen up a bit. Have fun."

"Get some booze in ya," Daren chuckled and gave him a nudge.