Chapter Two

Sun hurried back to the river she had been sheltering near for a few nights. Her kegs were weak and wobbly, and she collapsed halfway there. Feeling like she could go no further, she began to lick her wounds, focusing mainly on the belly ones. Those cats had been good fighters.

Her whole body throbbed. I have to get in the water. The river healed her, and it was the only place she ever felt at home. But she had to be completely in the water for it's powers to work. Sun stood up and warily looked at the river. Thankfully, it was deep. She stumbled in, not even feeling the freezing water, and dove down.

She breathed in through her nose, feeling the water slide past her lungs. She could breathe underwater. Couldn't all cats? Well, maybe not her mother. Or anyone else, Sun realized. That was why her mother had left her, wasn't it?

Sun rolled her eyes. She didn't care what her mother did. She swam around playfully, then spotted a trout and dove for it. Water came to her as easily as air. She scooped up the trout, which was resting on some pebbles, and killed it with a bite to the neck. She took it to the surface to eat, already feeling much better. She dragged herself back out of the water. Looking back, she saw the water was stained red.

Sun sat on the bank of the river and nibbled at the trout. It burst with flavor. She looked down at her belly after she had finished and saw that the wound was no more than a scar that would serve as a reminder for the remainder of her life. Energy glowed inside her. She dug a hole and buried the fish bones, then continued along the stream. She reached the HollyClan territory and stopped. There probably wouldn't be anymore patrols around this area, but still. She made a wide berth around it and the other scent and came to a scent line that smelled fluffy and damp, like clouds. She sniffed around. There was one tall tree that seemed to have been struck by lightning. It was a light red-brown color. She sniffed the air a few times. Suddenly, he scented that snother patrol was approaching! Quickly, she darted forward to roll herself in some flowers so she wouldn't smell like another cat to them. Though she was fully healed and energized, she was wary about fighting cats here. They were very far from a source of water, so she couldn't be healed in the water.

But she was too later. A deep meow sounded over her. "What are you doing in CloudClan's territory?"

Quickly Sun curled up in a ball, protecting her stomach and her head. What are you doing?! Screamed an unknown voice in her head. Fight them, you mouse-brain!

"Who are you?" The cat asked. "Don't hurt me!" Sun whimpered. It was bad enough being beaten by those HollyClan cats. At the end of the day, she was still a kit. That meant she didn't have as much stamina as these fully grown cats. She still had some energy, but right now, in the light of the falling sun, the trout in the stream felt a long way away. "I won't," The strange cat promised, sounding a little confused. "I just want to kow who you are."

Sun unfolded herself and stood up, looking at the tom. He seemed to be alone, but she sniffed the air just in case. "I'm alone," He added. "I'm... I'm Sun."

He nodded. "I'm Goldleaf."

He was gray with shining golden eyes. Sun stared at him, and he added. "This is my first evening as a warrior."

Sun forced herself to nod. He seemed friendly, but she could never be sure. "Where do you live?" He asked. "All around," Sun told him. His eyes widened. "Where do you live?" Sun asked, feeling slightly self concious. "I live with my Clan, CloudClan," Goldleaf told her. Sun backed up, eyes wide. A Clan cat!? "Not another one!" She shrieked. "Whoa, calm down!" Goldleaf yelped as Sun turned. "Would you like to come to CloudClan?"

Sun narrowed her eyes at the handsom tom. "Why should I do that?"

"Because, the Clans are awesome!" Goldleaf exclaimed. "Everyone fights and hunts together, and-" "I can fight and hunt by myself," Sun interrupted. "Yeah, but what about if you get old or sick and can't hunt? The Clan hunts for you, and the medicine cat heals you."

"But I can heal myself."

"Yeah, but what happens when there's a fox attacking you when you're weak?"

"Then I run."

"You're too weak to run."

"Then I go down fighting."

Goldleaf sighed. "Yes, but in a Clan, you don't have to go down fighting! You're Clanmates come and help!"

Sun snorted. "Yeah, but then they drive out an innocent kit who accidentally wandered into your territory."

Goldleaf narrowed his eyes. "Where were you before now?" He asked.

"HollyClan." Sun spat the name. "Oh yes, they don't like newcomers," Goldleaf told her. "Thank you, Obvious-Mouse," Sun muttered. "Alright. Fine. I'll come check out this Clan. But only for a night, alright?"

"Fine!" Goldleaf said happily. "Let's go."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Sun padded into the CloudClan camp. Goldleaf had led her through a forest of birch and maple trees. Every here and there, there were chestnut and apple trees too. It was leaf-fall, and leaves fluttered to the ground, dusting the earth with their bright hues of red and gold. Goldleaf and Sun made them crunch as they stepped over them.

Finally they made it to the Clan. It was evening, and cats were spread across the clearing. They all smelled slightly like Goldleaf. In the center of the clearing, there was a small pile of mice and fish. Moss was spread out as nests in what seemed to be dens- under bushes, in the shadow of overhanging rocks, and in small caves. The clearing was sheltered by trees, and a tunnel of brambles, thorns, and bracken led back out into the woods. A huge pile of stones lay at the edge of the camp. Everything was dusted with leaves. A white and gray tom leaped to his feet. "Goldleaf."

"Raintail," Goldleaf said, dipping his head respectfully to the tom. "Who's this?" Raintail asked Goldleaf. "This is Sun," Goldleaf mewed. "I found her near the border with FlowerClan."

"And why is she here?"

"I'll take it from here," Mewed a silky voice. Sun whirled around to see a slender silver she cat approaching, her plumy tail high. "Silverstar," Raintail muttered, ducking his head quickly. "You invited her?" Silverstar asked. Goldleaf nodded. "Without my permission?"

"We need more warriors, Silverstar," A white she cat with amber eyes pointed out. "Yes, Brightsky, but the point is he shouldn't have told her she could join without my premission!"

Sun raised her tail defiantly. This Silverstar had a bad attitude. So what if Goldleaf had asked her to join? He hadn't even done that; all he had asked was whether she would like to stay the night. "He didn't invite me into the Clan!!"

All talk ceased immediately. Sun's fur grew hot with embaressment as she realized that all the heads in the clearing had turned to her. "All- all he did was ask me to stay the night!" She added. Silverstar glared at her. "What's your name?"

Sun straightened her shoulders and held her head high. "Sun."

"Do you wish to stay in the Clan?" Asked Silverstar. "I don't know," Sun replied. "Can I stay a few days and check it out?"

Since Sun had come in contact with Goldleaf and the other cats, she had started to realize how much she missed other cats' company. That made her want to join the Clans. Who needs my mother anyway?

"Fine," Silverstar mewed. "Brightsky is right, we need more warriors. Come to my den and we will work on your status. How old are you?"

"Seven moons."

"Then you're an apprentice. Come on, let me teach you what an apprentice does."

She turned, and Sun followed the silver leader into her den. She felt eyes still on her, and, not being able to resit, turned around and mewed, "Show's over, folks."

Then she turned and followed Silverstar into the shadowy entrance of her den.